Multiple issues with shipping modules

First of all, until my customer actually enters an address, the shipping cost displays "Free Shipping!" I need to change that ASAP because it is legally "false advertising" and could cause me problems beyond the loss of customers who find that "all of a sudden" the "Free Shipping" is no longer free after they enter a shipping address.

Secondly, with the USPS module, "Parcel Post" NEVER shows up. I've tried about all I know to do in order to get it to show up but... all to no avail. Since that IS a popular option due to low cost, I need my customers to have that option!

All help and ideas to correct the above are most welcome!

Edited by alhefner (see edit history)

Please, these are prestashop modules and I do need to get them working correctly! I especially need to change that "Free Shipping" text! It shows up until the customer enters a shipping address THEN changes to reflect shipping charges. I have to indicate that shipping is NOT free in the cart prior to them entering a shipping address. Something along the line of "to be calculated" would work great!

I also need the USPS module to allow the use of "Parcel Post" and "First Class Mail"! I've beaten my head against this wall too much! I'm sure it's a simple setting I overlooked or didn't know to look at but, I'm unable to find it.

Thank you!

Seems like Prestashop in not in any hurry to fix this very serious flaw.

You are 100% correct! The USPS module is in serious need of repair!

Problems so far:

First class mail NEVER shows as a shipping option at checkout... it SHOULD!

If using the "one page checkout", shipping always shows as "Free Shipping!" until the customer enters his/her address. Probably not a "Connect to USPS" module problem though.

Shipping rates are NOT accurate... They are consistently much too high. I've comapred them to the rate charts provided by USPS. Perhaps that is because commercial rates are not actually being queried?

EVERY "Carrier" option for USPS shows up twice in the carrier list for products. This is probably due to regular and commercial rates being options for each USPS category but, even when only the "commercial" options are chosen in the module config, both seem to be showing up.

Since this issue doesn't seem to be of much interest by prestashop, it looks like I'll have to create custom carriers and use 'rate averages' so I can get "First Class Mail" options going. It won't be accurate and I'll take a loss on some shipping since I can't find a method to apply custom zone rates to the carrier yet but, it will be better than what currently exists...

I want to be able to decide what carrier to ship with rather than let the customer choose. One customer chose to have a 30 foot flagpole delivered by Priority Mail. Is there any way I can just eliminate the 'select carrier' portion of the checkout process ?

I want to be able to decide what carrier to ship with rather than let the customer choose. One customer chose to have a 30 foot flagpole delivered by Priority Mail. Is there any way I can just eliminate the 'select carrier' portion of the checkout process ?

Clif, there is a bettwer way than eliminating all choice.

Go to Catalong>Products>"product name">shipping.

You'll see two lists, "Available Carriers" and "Selected Carriers". If the list under "Selected carriers" is blank, you customer will have his/her choice of any carrier in the "Available Carriers" list. To limit that choice, just select the appropriate carriers from the "Available Carriers list and click "Add" at the bottom to move them over to the "Selected Carriers list". If the "Selected carriers" list is not blank, simply slelect the carriers that are not appropriate for that product and click "remove" to get them out of the chopices the customr has for that product.

Another method is to go into the carriers list and set the "Maximums" in that carrier. Shipping> Carriers, choose the carrier you need to modify and click edit. Then, click the tab for "Size, weight, and group access. Modify the values for "Maximum" length, height, width, weight... once you have that done, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Finish". The customer will not be able to choose that carrier for any package that exceed any of the "Maximums".

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Were you able to find a solution for the FREE SHIPPING issue? This has been a request by so many people for years. You'll find loads of forum posts about it. Don't understand why PS insist on keeping this feature in there. There are a few coding work arounds mentioned here and there but these are for older PS versions and I've tried and failed to use them. Or am I overlooking something?? 

• 4 months later...

Were you able to find a solution for the FREE SHIPPING issue? This has been a request by so many people for years. You'll find loads of forum posts about it. Don't understand why PS insist on keeping this feature in there. There are a few coding work arounds mentioned here and there but these are for older PS versions and I've tried and failed to use them. Or am I overlooking something?? 

The solution I used (not a fix) is to change the text found in LOCALIZATION / TRANSLATIONS.  Select Front-Office Translations and then expand all fields.  Then control F and search for Free Shipping.  I changed mine to read "Shipping not calculated".  

Be sure to change all three times it appears in the list.

• Like 1