Built in Geolocation - how reliable is it?

Hi everyone,

so, I am tired of Pakistani website stealing my product photos and have decided to finally ban them from accessing the site. I know there is an integrated Geolocation module in1.6. - how reliable is it? Are there drawbacks to using it? And are the IP ranges updated at all?

Or is there a better solution to blocking a whole country than this feature?

Your experience and input is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Dan

Hi everyone,

so, I am tired of Pakistani website stealing my product photos and have decided to finally ban them from accessing the site. I know there is an integrated Geolocation module in1.6. - how reliable is it? Are there drawbacks to using it? And are the IP ranges updated at all?

Or is there a better solution to blocking a whole country than this feature?

Your experience and input is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan, 

Native PrestaShop Geo Location is a great 'by country' way to manage your catalog.  One thing that is important to remember about native is: if IP cannot be resolved native PS will disallow shopping.  review of maxmind geolitecity.dat free file tells us at best the IP is 85% accurate, this can cause valid visitors from being able to shop.  

This is one of the features of my gtp module.  We allow you to configure a default country for non-resolved IP.  Most shops manage who can buy based on shipping and country select at registration.

Once you have sound strategy for using native geo location (for unresolved IP's) then you can restrict using panel a country and/or IP's.

• Like 1

Hi again,

thanks for our little chat yesterday, I will definitely get the GTP module.

One thing I did not quite get though is, how are the IP lists updated? I know that sometimes IP ranges are first associated with country A, but a year later or so, it can be country B. So how does that work?