Product comment module: change to the default stars-rating

Hello everyone,

here's a change I would like to suggest to the community, and see what you think, and if someone can / wants to propose the code changes.

The issue: when a customer leaves a product comment, the default behavior of the module is to set a 3 star rating. Many customers don't realize there is a star rating, which leads to some products having glowing reviews, but still only 3 stars on average. 3 stars was probably chosen because it is a neutral rating, but let's be honest, in an Amazon-infused world, 3 stars means the product is "meh", or acceptable at best. 3 stars is perceived as somewhat negative.

Current work-around: there is a quick way to edit the tpl file to make 5 stars the default, but this is not really a good solution either, because it's borderline unethical, because customers might leave a 5 star rating when they didn't mean to do so.

Proposed solution: instead of having a pre-selected star rating, why not change the module so that no stars are selected, and make customer input a required step before posting the comment. That way all star ratings would be genuine customer ratings, chosen by the customer, and not pre-filled by the software.

Thoughts? Comments?

• Like 2

Honestly I have not had a client use that module in forever. I personally like the default 5 start option, but I am a marketer too. I would just use Yotpo and let it scrape reviews. You get a lot more with it because of the emails. There are some things that PrestaShop is not good at and will never be good at and I think this is one. 

There are some things that PrestaShop is not good at and will never be good at and I think this is one. 

Soooo, the answer is to just throw up ur hands and say, "Oh well" instead of trying to improve the product? I just don't understand that concept at all.

Guess it's time for me to investigate the Prestashop structure and code then take a look at the product comments module and see wht needs to be done to make it better...

Honestly I have not had a client use that module in forever. I personally like the default 5 start option, but I am a marketer too. I would just use Yotpo and let it scrape reviews. You get a lot more with it because of the emails. There are some things that PrestaShop is not good at and will never be good at and I think this is one. 

Hi Lesley, about Yotpo, how does that intersect with pre-existing product ratings and comments? Do you lose the product ratings from the native product comment module, do they stack...? Also, do you use the free Yotpo service or one of their paid packages? The cheapest is 20 Dollars per month, and from a small merchant perspective, is it worth it?

Hey, I missed this. From what I understand they offer an import from prestashop customer comment module so you do not lose anything. Also they have a thing where you can import all of your old orders and send a review email to those people too. 

• Like 1