no settings.inc.php created

Hi

The "settings.inc.php" is not created after the installation and i have absolutely no idea why. (all permissions are correct, i followed the install instructions EXACTLY like in the Wiki).

Then the problems are similar to what we can see here : http://www.prestashop.com/forums/viewthread/4341/New_install__no_css_and_cannot_login_to_admin , except that i can't fix my settings.inc file, as it doesn't exist.

I've already installed a previous version of Prestashop a couple of month ago (RC4 or 5), and it was working very well in the same server.

Server config :
PHP 5.2.6
MySQL 5.0.45

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid I have the very same issue. I followed the directions to the letter. I have PHP working, MySQL working, everything is a GO on the first 2 steps of install. But then I get;

"Error while creating the /config/settings.inc.php file."

I need a more verbose message. I can't fix what i don't know is broken.

The only differences between this install and my first is that I have the 1.0 Final edition here, and I am not setting up my SMTP mail. (none to set up - local machine)

So what do I do now? I can't have you log-in and look at it, and I don't have enough information to find the problem myself.

Do you use something else than the traditionnal "localhost" for the server configuration ?
Mine is "localhost:/tmp/mysql5.sock", so i wonder if the problem comes from that ?

I'm using localhost too. I get to it with "localhost/cart/install" ('cart' is how it's named because I have to duplicate the one here at work for my home machine, and that's what we used back in early July)

I am using Microsoft's IIS ISAPI, MySQL 5.0 and PHP5. Can this be installed and used using IIS CGI? (I have issues with the rest of my machine when I use IIS ISAPI anyway, and I'd like to get away from that.)

Quick update; I still haven't gotten the new PrestaShop to install, but I did find out something about my troubles with it. It's not the software (at least I don't think it is). I run WIndows XP Pro, and for some reason I can't figure out, every single file in my prestahop folder, including the install folder, are BLOCKED by Win XP. Last night I spent about 3 hours going into each file and manually right-clicking each file and unblocking them. FOr all my effort, it didn't solve my issue. But it did remove the Microsoft XP Pro problem from the equasion.

Now... if I could just get that settings.inc.php file to work! :roll:

First, let me help anyone else with the blocked files in WindowsXP issue. Google a file called "Strings.zip" and get it. You run it in DOS mode, and it will let you unblock multiple files in a directory all at once.

Second; I STILL can not get PrestaShop final to install on this machine. Inspite of the fact that all the permissions are set as per instructions, and the first 2 screens for Install work fine and report that everything is good, PrestaShop is still not able to create config/settings.inc.php

I thought I'd get all smart and work around it, by using my back-up files from the installation at work to create the shop here at home without actually installing it. My trick almost worked. I have the shop up, and functional. I can add products, and everything works fine. EXCEPT IMAGES. I can't upload any at all. I have NO IDEA what's wrong.

So... is anyone from the PrestaShop Team reading this thread? I need to get this installed here at home so I can get everything done. I don't have more than 40 hours a week authorized at work, yet the bosses STILL want results ASAP. They wanted to move this shop to the server on October 1, but that's impossible now. With this installed here at home, I just may be able to get it done and ready to move to the company web server by November 1st and save face.

HELP????

Paul,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am at the XAMPP site now, reading over the documentation.

Is there anything I should know before I attempt this? Will my backup files from MySQL fit into the XAMPP version? Any tips or tricks?

I will assume I will need to uninstall IIS ISAPI and my existing MySQL and PHP packages before installing XAMPP. If that isn't right, let me know.

I have little to lose at this point - what I have now is a non-working version of PrestaShop that I can see but can't alter. It seems after a restoration of my backup after a crash yesterday, I can't save images on the setup I had. I am praying ferverently to the computer gods to allow XAMPP to be my store's salvation.

Did I mention that I hate Windoze? ;-)

I would dump all the current php and mysql stuff first. It'll likely just get in the way.
After installing xampp (it's fairly painless) I've found a couple of things that need to be done:

1) From the xampp control panel make sure that the svc boxes are unchecked for both mysql and apache (i've had problems running them as services, but no trouble at all starting and stopping them manually from this applet; best not to run them 24x7 anyway).
2) You'll likely need to edit the apache config file to enable extensions like mod_rewrite (i.e. edit c:\apache\conf\httpd.conf and remove the # from before the module entry)
3) Maybe edit php.ini to enable things like curl if required, although I think it works fairly well out of the box.

Apart from that you should be good to go, and just fire up http://localhost/phpmyadmin and import your database, stick the files in htdocs and you're off!

Any problems, just shout :)

Paul

Thanks for your help, Paul, I truly appreciate it.

You have no idea what my last 2 days at work have been like.. after my Windoze system crashed and I haven't been able to get my PrestaShop back up yet. It's like living a nightmare. Know that you ARE appreciated VERY much.

Next question is, as I am not an Apache veteran, what mods do you think I should uncomment? I know rewrite should be open, but I'm staring at a list of 10s of commented out lines.... :bug:

I took care of inchecking svc on both PHP and MySql. Thanks for that too.

It's just simply not my week >sigh<

Now the MySQL in XAMPP isn't working. Error message after error message. Shoot me, please.

I even put this on a different computer I just threw together in the shop. New case & guts, new hard drive, fresh WinXP install. I guess maybe computers just hate me this week.

Ouch. not lucky are you?

Did you install it in the default directory (c:\xampp)? To be honest I've even installed a different MySQL version and run it separately (so just started up apache from the control panel and not MySQL) and it's worked fine for me...

Post the error messages and we'll take a look.

Paul

I just uninstalled the whole works. Re-installing now.

What was happening, is when I'd try to go into MySQL Admin to create the schema for PrestaShop, I'd get a bunch of windows message windows with access violations in the libmysql.dll

Now that I'm installing fresh again, I'll try it before I change the permissions. Maybe (probably?) I hosed it up with operatormalfunction®

That wasn't it...

The errors are all the same one; "Access violation at address 10009F40 in module LIBMYSQL.DLL read of address 00000000."

It's really, REALLY not my week.

Ah, no that's common, you clicked the admin button in the xampp control panel didn't you ;)

Ignore that or you'll get an access violation error when you click it..... - forgot about that one, sorry :cheese:

Just use http://localhost/phpmyadmin from your browser and you'll be fine! All you need to do in the xampp control panel is click "start" each time you want to use the local server after a restart.

Paul

ALL of my glitch issues with PrestaShop were solved by XAMPP, Paul!

Thank you SO much!

I have installed it, it's working, and it's about 2X faster as well. I am VERY happy. You are the MAN!

I'm going to attempt to run XAMPP on my home PC as well.... I didn't get a chance last night, but if it works, I'm going to add it to my 64 bit machine too.

Thanks again!