[SOLVED] Adding Google Tag Manager to PrestaShop

EdEichman

Hi Guys,

Speed of your website is fundamental to a good conversion rate. In addition, it effects your ranking in the serps. Monitoring your page speed is an important KPI. Therefore, I updated my blog post about adding the Google Tag Manager to PrestaShop 1.6 with info about tracking the site speed for 100% of your users.

If you insist on using Google Analytics directly instead of via the Google Tag Manager (which I do not recommend, but it seems to be what everyone on the forum is doing), then there are many articles on how to add this to the Google Analytics snippet.

Thanks,

Ed

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi EdEichman and thanks for your article/plugin
Anyway the google tag manager page changed and we cant anymore create a "rule" has you have done.....
Could you help me telling me in the new way how to do it ?
And at the end we have to choose if the tracker should be on every page, do we have to say yes ?

Thansk a lot  i would really appreciate your help :) and sorry if my english is not perfect

Hi EdEichman and thanks for your article/plugin

Anyway the google tag manager page changed and we cant anymore create a "rule" has you have done.....

Could you help me telling me in the new way how to do it ?

And at the end we have to choose if the tracker should be on every page, do we have to say yes ?

Thansk a lot  i would really appreciate your help :) and sorry if my english is not perfect

Yes, it will be on every page.

I Didnt know about this GTM

Is it best keeping google analytics, or use GTM or both .

If I switch, do I disable both the GA modules that are currently active.

What is the advantage of switching from one to another ?

Thanks

Ray

• 1 month later...

I Didnt know about this GTM

Is it best keeping google analytics, or use GTM or both .

If I switch, do I disable both the GA modules that are currently active.

What is the advantage of switching from one to another ?

Thanks

Ray

Hi Ray,

The idea is to use GA via GTM, so with GTM added, and GA tags firing, you can disable the GA module.

Hey, wait! I work with matchless.co.uk! I shouldn't be helping a no-match guy ;->

Have a good one,

Ed

• Like 1

I dont know you but it seem that conversions are not working well....i followed all those steps... 

for everybody it works well?

Hi fulviods,

Did you check everything with the the Tag Assistant? Are the sales showing up in the _DB_PREFIX_.data_layer table?

Also, my GTM module (and the PrestaShop GA module, as far as I can tell) rely on a payment confirmation page being shown. For e.g. PayPal, I needed to force their auto return feature, otherwise users might not come back to your shop to show the GTM code.

Thanks,

Ed

• 10 months later...

Been using GTM for a while now with a tag for both Google Analytics and the Adwords Conversion tag.

Both works fine, and site pass the 'Google Tag Assistant' test tool in Chrome.

However I now noticed the ecommerce data is apparently not being sent to Google Analytics anymore, despite it is checked in the Tag manager.

Anyone else figuring this out?

Edited by kmorgen (see edit history)

Been using GTM for a while not with a tag for both Analytics and Adwords Conversion tag.

Both works fine, and pass the Tag Assistant test tool in Chrome.

However I now noticed the ecommerce data is apparently not being sent to Google Analytics anymore, despite it is checked in the Tag manager.

Anyone else figuring this out?

I'm guessing that your problem is specific to your site... in general, GTM data does get to analytics.

You might want to start diagnosing your site with the Google Tag Asistente.

HTH,

Ed

I'm guessing that your problem is specific to your site... in general, GTM data does get to analytics.

You might want to start diagnosing your site with the Google Tag Asistente.

HTH,

Ed

Thanks for responding. The site does pass the Google Tag Assistant as mentioned.

Google Analytics does work, it is only the ecommerce data which is no longer sent to analytics. I guess it is some Data Layer issue.

Before switching to GTM, I uesed the regular PS Google Analytics module and ecoomerce data was transferred.

I will now try to disable the Analytics tag in GTM, and enable the PS module again to check if ecommerce data will again be transferred....

Was just wondering if others experienced that ecommerce data are not transferred with GTM and PS?!

Edited by kmorgen (see edit history)

Thanks for responding. The site does pass the Google Tag Assistant as mentioned.

Google Analytics does work, it is only the ecommerce data which is no longer sent to analytics. I guess it is some Data Layer issue.

Before switching to GTM, I uesed the regular PS Google Analytics module and ecoomerce data was transferred.

I will now try to disable the Analytics tag in GTM, and enable the PS module again to check if ecommerce data will again be transferred....

Was just wondering if others experienced that ecommerce data are not transferred with GTM and PS?!

You can debug the datalayer data via the tag assistant. 

Is it only conversion data that is not getting transfered (not sure specifically what you mean by ecommerce data). If so, you may want to check my earlier comment:

Also, my GTM module (and the PrestaShop GA module, as far as I can tell) rely on a payment confirmation page being shown. For e.g. PayPal, I needed to force their auto return feature, otherwise users might not come back to your shop to show the GTM code.

You can debug the datalayer data via the tag assistant. 

Is it only conversion data that is not getting transfered (not sure specifically what you mean by ecommerce data). If so, you may want to check my earlier comment:

Also, my GTM module (and the PrestaShop GA module, as far as I can tell) rely on a payment confirmation page being shown. For e.g. PayPal, I needed to force their auto return feature, otherwise users might not come back to your shop to show the GTM code.

These are the e-commerce data: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1009612?hl=en

I no longer det this data when using the GTM on PS. So in the Analytics E-commerce tab there is no sales reporting etc. anymore. 

• 2 weeks later...

I now changed to the Prestashop Google Analytics module again, and the eCommerce data is transferred to Analytics again.

So guess some issue (or my google tag configuration) which make the eCommerce data not working with Google Tag in PS.

I have enabled the eCommerce in the Google Tag, and the Tag Asistant tool report no errors, so not sure what to do from here.

Anybody with can see the eCommerce data in Google Analytics when using Google Tag instead og the PS Analytics module in PS?

• 7 months later...

Hi,

we use a google tag manager and to monitorate the conversion the google technician has indicated us this solution:

google_tag_manager.png

do you think it is valid way?

​The javascript compression It can create problems to the google tag manager code?

javascript_compression.png

thanks

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/7/2015 at 11:58 AM, EdEichman said:

Hi Guys,

Just wrote up a blog post about adding the Google Tag Manager to PrestaShop. Comments welcome.

Thanks,

Ed

Hi Ed, 

I install the module, but the problem is when I want to check it with google tag assistance, I have an error." GTM no-script code not found: either missing or not in <body>" 

I try to add the script in the header.tpl but there is no <body> section. 

Update: Problem was solved. I just use another addon and customize hook to do it. 

Thanks

Ali

Edited by QNP (see edit history)

• 9 months later...
On 7/5/2015 at 7:58 PM, EdEichman dice:

Hi Guys,

Just wrote up a blog post about adding the Google Tag Manager to PrestaShop. Comments welcome.

Thanks,

Ed

Hi Ed,

I downloaded the zip from your blog for Data Layer Module and tried to upload to my prestashop 1.6.1.5; it says it has uploaded with success, but I cannot find it in the list of modules, nor in any directory in my site.

Could you tell me where I must put your files directory if I unzip it by myself?

Thank you in advance,

Barbara

• 8 months later...