How to edit the robots.txt file

bogdanch

We've identified that a certain line in the robots.txt that prestashop automatically generates is blocking our products from Google Shopping.

the line in question is 

Disallow: /*n=

The matched URL has some UTM tracking parameters used by Google Analytics. Example URL that matches the line in robots.txt:

domain.com/page.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping

I'm trying to get FTP access to be able to edit the robots.txt manually, but I noticed that in the BO there's a button to automatically generate it again, so I'm afraid that someone might go in there, re-generate it and then we have to do the same thing over again... Is there a fail safe way to edit what goes into the default robots.txt file?

If you have cPanel based hosting, you could log in through there and use the built-in file manager.

You can then browse to the file and right clicking on it gives you the option to edit or code edit (edit is sufficient for this text based file).

Once you have saved your changes you can right click on the file again and change the permissions to read only.

You'll need to remember that setting and change it if you want prestashop to regenerate your robots.txt in future.

You could do the same via FTP but I find cPanel much more convenient.

Edited by deepee (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi. I have the cloud version 1.6.1.3 from frestashop and I can not edit my robots.txt file from my ftp acces because it can not not find it there.

Can someone please tell me how can I edit my robotos.txt file if i dont have access to it from my ftp? Pleaseee

It's likely that your shop is on a cPanel hosted server.

Open a browser and log in to your cPanel account.

In the "Files" section click on "File Manager"

Use it to browse your public_html folder where you will find your robots.txt file.

Select the file and then click on the "Edit" button in the menu bar.

You can edit and save your changes there.

It's a good idea to first download your old robots.txt file as a backup before editing.

In fact it's always good practice to do a full backup of your home folder and database before making any edits

It's likely that your shop is on a cPanel hosted server.

Open a browser and log in to your cPanel account.

In the "Files" section click on "File Manager"

Use it to browse your public_html folder where you will find your robots.txt file.

Select the file and then click on the "Edit" button in the menu bar.

You can edit and save your changes there.

It's a good idea to first download your old robots.txt file as a backup before editing.

In fact it's always good practice to do a full backup of your home folder and database before making any edits

Hi Deepee

Thanks for your message. but i dont know where to find the "files" section

as i mentioned to you before I have the Prestashop 1.6.1.3 CLOUD version and I only have haccess to my backoffice and my FTP but my ftp does now have any file with the name "files"

Can you please just send me picture of a screenshoot about where can I go to find the "file manager seccion" to have acces to my public html

I will really appreciate it.

My email is [email protected]

Please!!!

Hi Deepee

Thanks for your message. but i dont know where to find the "files" section

as i mentioned to you before I have the Prestashop 1.6.1.3 CLOUD version and I only have haccess to my backoffice and my FTP but my ftp does now have any file with the name "files"

Can you please just send me picture of a screenshoot about where can I go to find the "file manager seccion" to have acces to my public html

I will really appreciate it.

My email is [email protected]

Please!!!

Hi

I missed the fact that you are on the CLOUD version.

I've never used it so I don't know where you initially land in the file structure when you FTP into your site or what folders it allows you to access.

Having a brief look at this support page it seems you are limited to only certain folders:

http://doc.prestashop.com/display/CLOUD/Managing+FTP+users

Sorry I can't be of more help.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I have the cloud version 1.6.1.3 from frestashop and I can not edit my robots.txt file from my ftp acces because it can not not find it there.

Can someone please tell me how can I edit my robotos.txt file if i dont have access to it from my ftp? Pleaseee

I have same problem , did you get any solution?