Attributes and combinations - more info / clarification

Hello,

Few questions clarifications regarding the attributes and combinations

1. I need to use the attributes for a product as standalone, not in combination with other attributes, like it is now in config panel. Is this possible in the current version, 1.6.0.14?
For example:
- For a product i have the attributes size and color
- If i set the attributes as standalone in the Combinations tab, then, when i add this product in the shopping cart, only one attribute is displayed.
- If i set the attributes as combination size-color, then, when i add this product in the shopping cart, everything is ok, in shopping cart appears the size and the color, but think about how many combinations i have to add in the database for this product if i have 30 color and 10 sizes (these are regular attributes for my products)

2. For each size i need to have separate price, to be shown in the interface (when i have discount on that product, i need to display discount for each size, with cut price). As i see now in the config tool, there is the possibility to put the price for an attribute, not the exactly price for that size, as i need, but an increase or a decrease to one referred price. Is this possible for this version or do you pan to add in your future versions?

Thank you and waiting for your answers...

Thank you for your answer!

The ideea for my products is not to use those combinations of attributes because there will be to many useless combinations in my db.

I only need to use attributes as standalone, but, as i saw, this is not possible because, if i use the attributes as standalone, in the shopping cart / checkout process only one attribute is taken into account.

Do you know if this is possible in the current version? / Do you know a module or something which makes this possible?

Thank you!

Edited by leozao (see edit history)

Use the combinations generator. 30 colours and 10 sizes is 300 combinations. You can set price variations for each size and colour and then just let the built in combinations generator do all the work.

If you start getting over 1500 combinations then you should look at Presto Chango's attribute module

There are 500+ products with almost the same number of colors and sizes, so think about how many combinations..:D

But for a single product this is the maximum number of combinations...around 300

I was wondering if there is not a solution for this problem, why this was thought only in this limited way and if there will be a problem witn my database regarding the speed ...

Thank you also for your suggestion....

You could use CSV files. I am working on a store with an unmanageable number of product combinations and using CSV files is much easier / faster plus allows for easy price updates in the future.

When it comes to database it depends on hosting. If it is too slow upgrade to better hosting. 

If you added all the combinations then you don't need CSV. CSV is just a way to quickly add combinations (or any data) when you have complex products and it is easier to manipulate the data in a spreadsheet and then import the final data.

If you are having speed issues CSV will not help you. My best guess is that your hosting is the problem. Bad hosting will often have bottlenecks at SQL. I would try moving the site to a better hosting service.

An alternative solution would be to use PrestoChango's module Attribute Wizard Pro. It deals with combinations in a completely different way so you don't get the exponential growth of combinations but you also can't have combination specific pricing -- only price changes based on specific attributes. As an added bonus though you do get a bunch of attribute classes you didn't have before. I use it for some of my products because otherwise the combinations would be way over the ~2500 that PrestaShop can handle.

That said I still think it is hosting. Try your site on local host and see if you have the same speed issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Naldinho,

Thank you for you answer...

I thought that you are using the CSV with other purposes, to rise the speed, or something. I used also the CSVs to import the data, not that was my problem. My real problem is that instead to have 7000 attributes for my products, i have arround 70000, which is not very well for the speed.

Thank you for the suggestion with PrestoChango, i have contacted them but their module does not treat this problem.

I am thinking to develop a module to solve this problem.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Hi Naldinho,

Thank you for you answer...

I thought that you are using the CSV with other purposes, to rise the speed, or something. I used also the CSVs to import the data, not that was my problem. My real problem is that instead to have 7000 attributes for my products, i have arround 70000, which is not very well for the speed.

Thank you for the suggestion with PrestoChango, i have contacted them but their module does not treat this problem.

I am thinking to develop a module to solve this problem.

Thank you.

Leozao, voce solucionou  problema? O meu e o mesmo que o seu. Leozao, did you solve ths problem? Ihave the same problem, too many variations and the system breaks.