Random display home featured not working PS1.6.0.11

Hi everybody,

I'm using prestashop 1.6.0.11 (default template) and the module Featured Products is set to show 16 products from the Home category.

All products are assigned to Home category and 1-2 other categories.

I have set "random display" to YES.

I expect the products change when I refresh my page, but I keep seeing the same products.

I have looked at a lot of other posts with this problem, but all were talking about an earlier version of prestashop.

I hope someone can tell me if this can be solved.

I saw a module in addons, but it would be strange to have to buy a module when the core module states it does the same.

Thanks for your time!!

Edited by unlimitedgrain (see edit history)

It's likely because you have caching enabled on the Advanced Parameters > Performance tab. If you have caching disabled, the products will change each time the page is refreshed. If you have caching enabled, it will randomise once and then keep reloading the same page from the cache.

It's likely because you have caching enabled on the Advanced Parameters > Performance tab. If you have caching disabled, the products will change each time the page is refreshed. If you have caching enabled, it will randomise once and then keep reloading the same page from the cache.

Thanks Rocky, this works!! For us the random choice is important.

Are there any negative issues when caching is disabled?

It will likely reduce performance. You can use the Google Chrome developer tools (or whatever other tools you prefer to use) to compare the page load time with and without caching enabled to see whether the performance difference is acceptable for you.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Really there is no way to avoid caching that single module? or that part of it?

EDIT: Nevermind, I ended up clearing cache for the module manually by editing the homefeatured.php. If that is a "proper solution" I do not know, but this way I still get to use the smarty cache for the rest of the site.

There might be a big performance hit since the cache is created and deleted for this module every time the webpage is viewed - will this cause problems in production with many "simultanions" views? If so then i think a cron job to clear the cache once in a while would be an option perhaps.

Edited by [email protected] (see edit history)

• 3 months later...