BUG FIX Paypal Error 500 / blank page after payment !

slinkyregent

Hi to everybody,

I fixed the bug of PayPal Europe module (i think it's the same for US version) that redirect to a blank (or error 500) page after payment. I git the changes in Prestashop GitHub and the Prestashop team updated the PayPal Europe module to version 3.8.2, containing my fix. You have this problem if you are a new merchant.

If you can update the module:

1. Update the module

If you can't update the module:

1. Set 755 permissions at all paypal dir, sub-dirs and files
  2. open 
    paypal/express_checkout/payment.php

and go to line 258:

if (strcmp($payment_status, 'Completed') === 0)

and change it:

if ((strcasecmp($payment_status, 'Completed') === 0) || (strcasecmp($payment_status, 'Completed_Funds_Held') === 0))

You might have considered using a different order status for this Paypal payment status "Completed-Funds-Held"

According to the developer guide, these funds are not available to you as they are placed into the "pending balance"

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/api/merchant/DoExpressCheckoutPayment_API_Operation_SOAP/

Completed-Funds-Held – The payment has been completed, and the funds have been added successfully to your pending balance.

And this FAQ describes what the pending balance is.  As a merchant, I would want to know this and understand why these funds are being held BEFORE I ship products, and under what conditions would Paypal ever pull these funds from me.  "Payment Accepted" is likely a poor choice.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/security/paypal-holds-faq

When some sellers receive payments, we may hold the money in their pending balance for up to 21 days. We want to make sure that there are no problems with the orders, such as disputes, claims, returns, or chargebacks. After we determine that the order was fulfilled and the customer is satisfied, we may release the money earlier.
If we place your money in a pending balance, it belongs to you but isn't immediately available to spend or withdraw.

We'll let you know if payments on your account are held. We'll also let you know what steps you can take to have your money released earlier. If your PayPal account was already limited, you'll need to lift those limits before you complete the steps to release your payments.

You might have considered using a different order status for this Paypal payment status "Completed-Funds-Held"

According to the developer guide, these funds are not available to you as they are placed into the "pending balance"

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/api/merchant/DoExpressCheckoutPayment_API_Operation_SOAP/

And this FAQ describes what the pending balance is.  As a merchant, I would want to know this and understand why these funds are being held BEFORE I ship products, and under what conditions would Paypal ever pull these funds from me.  "Payment Accepted" is likely a poor choice.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/security/paypal-holds-faq

Yes i know, I considered this, but I think that it's not important because for Prestashop software there's no difference and because only the merchant need to know (and he know because paypal send email that funds are held) that funds are held. The customer don't need to know that funds are held.

• 1 month later...

Same here. PS 1.6.14 and Paypal v3.8.2 (Europe) still getting a 404 blank page?

Solved it with "vanyaaleksandrova`s solution:

"delete the friendly URLs for order and quick order.

This solves the PayPal v3.8.2 issue with the 404 error. Obviously there' s some kind of a misunderstanding with the module and the friendly URLs."

Edited by jrgene (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Same here. PS 1.6.14 and Paypal v3.8.2 (Europe) still getting a 404 blank page?

Solved it with "vanyaaleksandrova`s solution:

"delete the friendly URLs for order and quick order.

This solves the PayPal v3.8.2 issue with the 404 error. Obviously there' s some kind of a misunderstanding with the module and the friendly URLs."

what do you mean by "delete the friendly URLs" ?  what is the procedure ?