sell module with overrides ?

seb776

Yep,

I know, so that's the problem : sometimes the installation fails. So how to you handle that case ?

That's a bit annoying for customer, he will tell the developer that he fails to install module ... 

Then what do you do ?

- Avoid coding module that use overrides ?

- Ask the buyer to require additionnal service (manual installation) ?

- provide an manual installation guide ?

We don't.

When the customer try to install the module and if an error (about override) is done, PrestaShop will say that the module can't be installed cause of this error (and a mention about the method already set is done).

The best is to avoid overrides, yes. Cause it can be a problem like that. I a module need an override, it's often that a hook is missing. Maybe request a new hook will be better ? [but, I know, sometimes we have to use override, ;-)]

At this point, if the customer have a problem, he will contact you. I think you have to prevent this one before the buy that the module require override and maybe there will have some conflicts. And, if he buy and request a manual installation, you can charge him for. My way is to offer this one, but it's my way ;-)

Manual installation guide... I'm not sure with that, cause if the module can't be installed, it's a manual merge with precisions that we need and if the customer can't do it, it's not a developper/agency so it will be not safe, I think.

• Like 2

I would suggest including in your product description, that the module requires an override, and include what functions are being overriden.  state that the module will not install properly if an override of these functions already exist.

Prestashop cannot automatically perform this merge, and the following need to be considered...

1) is it possible to merge these functions together

2) is the customer capable of merging them together

3) are you going to offer to merge these overrides together?  Is this a free service you will provide?

4) are you going to refund them if it cannot be done

I would suggest thinking through all of that, and then be upfront in your product description on the addons store about this

• Like 2