How to create products with multiple units?

Alasa

hello

I have a question and I think you can help me.

In the catalog of products I have for sale only individual units. I want to sell some of these products in their original packaging (for example, 10 units each pack/box) something cheaper and after reading some manuals of Prestashop I think I have several options:

1. Go to Catalog-Products-Add new product, select "Pack of existing products": it would consist of a single product and indicate the number of units of the pack (in my case would be the number of units that come in the original packaging) new price (cheaper than in single units), weight, etc.
They are two different ID (individual products and product box) and I have to do everything twice, images, description

2. Go to Catalog-Products-Add new product, select "Standard Product".
The problem I see here is to manage the stock. If I have 10 original packaging of 10 units of each box (total 100 units), how to manage or assign each ID the quantities, if customers buying single units and other customer buyin complete boxes, when in stock this product has two references that are sold in boxes and single units? It could give the absurdity that the ID of single unit was exhausted in the stock while whole the boxes ID, assigned to the original packaging.

3. Go to Catalogue-Products and select the product that I want to offer the possibility of providing the box, go to the tab Prices-Prices specific and if the riginal packaging has 10 units put 10 in "From" and indicate the discount price, for that price discount only was applied from 10 units o more.
I think the problem with this is that if someone buys 11 units, it will be applying the discount to all when the customer has purchased is 1 original packaging of 10 units and 1 single unit.
It has the advantage that only have one ID and I manage better all this product stock

Is there any other way?

Which is correct?

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I am facing this same issue, Did you ever find a solution? I have e.g. a pencil that costs €1, but it can only be sold in quantities of 5. Did you find a module or some other solution to handle this?

Thanks,

Carl

Thanks for your reply tuk66. The products come from a feed in which they are specified as single products and single product prices, but also with a parameter packaging unit. So I can't create new products of 5 units, but need to integrate it somehow using some module. The minimum order quantity is not good enough. If you set it to 5 a customer is still able to order 6 or 7, where he should order 10.

Any idea?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

yes I am working just now on similar shop with clothing  sold per pieces and wholesale per box in various box sizes

so you have on product page > prices

a nice addition price per unit where you put for example price  per one pencil

or 1 unit and main product price is price per box containing 10 units

or 5 pencils in two examples above

in first Alaza question you can set up inventory per boxes

in second carroz question because you have feed it is best to disable inventory at all

you will get product disabled anyways if not in in inventory from your feed

So my advice is to setup a module email me when back in stock for this purpose. you will keep the products enabled because of SEO and

online search value

• 11 months later...