[SOLVED] What info is sent to PayPal when a customer pays?

c930586

Hi,

I have installed PayPal in my site, and it works very well.

Yesterday, I bought a product in my store, in order to check that the module works properly.

PayPal confirmed the payment by email, and in the email, I realised that PayPal knows everything about the transacion: articles, prices, taxes, addresses and so on. Is that the standard procedure? I mean, are we allowed to limit the info they get?

I thought they would get the email and the total amount of the purchase, but I was surprised to see that they get absolutely all the detailed information.

I would really appreciate if you could please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Robert

PS: Prestashop 1.6.0.11 and PayPal 3.8.1

Edited by c930586 (see edit history)

Paypal takes the data so that you can make shipping labels if needed and it uses it to verify where a credit card was used and where the items are being shipped to to prevent fraud and identity theft. If someone's card is being used for a large amount of money in a foreign state or country for example, paypal would be able to stop transactions on the card in case it is reported stolen. It's for the customers protection as well. :D

All true information related to buyer and seller protection, and shipping labels.

However Paypal does not require product and pricing itemization in order to provide the same buyer/seller protections, or to provide a shipping label.  So you could remove the itemization and just provide a single item which represents the cart total. 

In fact, the Paypal USA module already does this when there are any discounts added to the cart.

True. It also allows you to print invoices and receipts for orders. It also comes in handy when giving refunds for specific items. But of course you can always do a partial refund without the itemization. I always just viewed it as a backup for orders. The only thing to think about is if paypal allows the use of their module to be edited in that way. Otherwise, have at it and good luck!

Edited by The Fuzzy Pineapple (see edit history)

Hi, I have installed the paypal module (3.8.1) on my prestashop (1.6.0.9) and it's working fine. However, the customer information is not being sent to paypal and the details in the confirmation email are shown as "not provided".

Please help.

Thanks

Hi there. I had the same issue at first. The payment goes through fine but prestashop doesnt register it and neither does paypal as far as items are concerned. Have you tried dowloading the module directly from addons and then deleting the current module and then uploading the new module? That is what worked for me. The module did not update correctly when i did it in backoffice using.the update button. Try this method out and tell me what you get. Hopefully it works for you as well.

Hi there. I had the same issue at first. The payment goes through fine but prestashop doesnt register it and neither does paypal as far as items are concerned. Have you tried dowloading the module directly from addons and then deleting the current module and then uploading the new module? That is what worked for me. The module did not update correctly when i did it in backoffice using.the update button. Try this method out and tell me what you get. Hopefully it works for you as well.

Thanks for the reply! I tried that but it didn't get it to work. Please let me know if you have other solution options. Thanks