How to completely hide order numbers from customers?

Voyager2

Hello,

We're at the start of moving from osCommerce (at long last) to Prestashop.

I'm trying to find a way to completely remove all references to the order number and wondered if anyone can help please.

Our osCommerce sites are heavily customised and we have a scrambled order number feature that changes the order number to a 'random' number (not really random).

I see PS1.6 has a unique reference which we can display to customers, but the order ID is still showing up in other places, for instance the invoice pdf is numbered with the order id (ie, IN000001.pdf etc), and in the front-end account section, when you view previous orders, the javascript link for ShowOrder seems to take the invoice number in the second field?

I'm capable of going through and hacking the code to change this manually, but as PS is regularly updated (unlike osC), I obviously don't want to do that and would prefer to do it a cleaner way (module/hooks etc).

Does anyone have any advice please?

Thanks

• 10 months later...
I see PS1.6 has a unique reference which we can display to customers

It actually is not globally unique.  Since multiple orders can be created from a single Cart, uniqueness is only guaranteed for orders created from the same Cart.  And even then, I don't see any code that would prevent this.  id_order on the other hand is always unique.

for instance the invoice pdf is numbered with the order id (ie, IN000001.pdf etc), and in the front-end account section, when you view previous orders, the javascript link for ShowOrder seems to take the invoice number in the second field?

Invoice numbers are in no way associated to the id_order.  It just so happens that by default they both start at 1.  However if an order is created that does not require an invoice, then the numbers will deviate.  You can also change the starting number of invoices.