Caching performance

I'm working with a PrestaShop site that's currently getting around 100 page views per minute, and that number is expected to increase in the near future. The site is running on its own quad-core VPS with WHM/cPanel (Apache 2.4, PHP 5.4, fcgi), and there are no other sites hosted on that server.

I've been making various performance improvements, but every time I try enabling caching through PrestaShop, performance drops like a rock. I've tried the file system cache, xCache, and APC, and each one sent response times skyrocketing and had to be reverted. I have New Relic doing transaction tracing, and the cache-related classes are always what's taking up so much processing time:

post-605108-0-95997600-1420920996_thumb.png

Here's is a screenshot of performance before and after disabling APC (config), with the blue line indicating the approximate time I disabled the caching option in the back office:

post-605108-0-57412500-1420920661_thumb.png

I could maybe understand if I'd just configured one caching daemon incorrectly, but I've tried two different ones plus the file system cache, and they all significantly hurt performance. What could be causing this? I think the site could benefit from better caching, but I haven't gotten any cache setup to actually work properly.

Edited by danh42 (see edit history)

• 7 months later...