Ability to change currency of wholesale price?

If we buy our products in US currency, the exchange rates fluctuate, and then so does our wholesale prices. Is there any way to do this via built in functionality or modular capability (free or paid) that the conversion could occur based on current rates?

Thanks for the response!

So since we sell in CAD.. we would input the wholesale price and specify that it is in USD and then call a cronjob to convert that to USD every day? How would we specify that the wholesale price is initially in USD and have it be updated to reflect the USD price based on the currency everyday?

I'm not quite sure I got your idea very well, man.

Basically, you should have 2 currencies enabled: USD and CAD. You might set CAD is the default currency if you don't want your users to change it by your self. Also you might need to use module Block Currencies to give your users the chance to change it.

Now, put all prices in USD.

Run the cron job every day to update the exchange rate.

Is that true?

Is there any specific issue you are dealing with?

Hope I can help you out.

Tung

Thanks for your help Tung.

I was mainly wondering if it possible to submit the wholesale price in USD and have it update to CAD in the BO. It is because my client buys their products in USD so their wholesale price changes all the time based on the exchange rate (we are in Canada).

eggo

In your last reply, it seems, you are confusing between USD and CAD at frontend.

As far as I understand:

- You bought products in USD

- You sell your products in CAD

If so, it's totally possible to do that.

What you need to do are:

- Enable 2 currencies.

- Install module Block currencies, so your customers can choose their own currency. If you don't want them to change currency ( but set to CAD all the times), I'm afraid that, you should not install this module. then, ask someone to customize the code and always set currency to CAD. We can not change default currency in Back office to CAD, as after that, you will have to enter CAD prices, instead of USD.

But 1 thing, wholesale price, this is a hidden info to your customers. It's only helpful when you want to calculate profit, margin... internally.

It means, you will have to enter your prices into the field "Pre-tax retail price"

799975ea-5fec-11e4-86f3-24aa4bbe7dd2.png

Hi Tung,

Thank you for the explanation.

Is it possible to have pre-tax wholesale price in US and then converted to CAD based on exchange rate in backoffice if we want to view reports in only CAD or will this require custom functionality?

• 1 month later...

Well, I support roflmyeggo's requirement. I import merchandise and pay in USD or EUR, and sell in my country using the local currency. So my 'pre-tax wholesale price' is fixed only in USD or EUR, and it will fluctuate daily in my local currency according to the exchange rates between USD/EUR and the local currency. To be able to calculate correct profit margin I would have to adjust continually the pre-tax wholesale prices of all products; or at least with every importation. Would be great if I could indicate the pre-tax wholesale price in the currency the merchandise was bought in.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey.I buy in Dollars and sell in pounds so i convert to price before and  i enter it in my default price. That way its works great for invoices.

I am a novice at web designing so i find a solution instead. Wrong but it works.

But my biggest problem is how the price is displayed in my shop i have 4.99 £ and need £4.99 silly ive changed it before but cannot remember where and how. ha ha

• 3 months later...