How to create a free downloadable product

Hi, I am trying to create some product listings for my customers that will be free templates for them to download.  I would like them to have to go through the checkout process to be able to download the free templates.  I am using the latest minor release of PrestaShop 1.6.

I have set up the virtual product, uploaded my .pdf file, set it as available for purchase, and set the quantity to 5000.  When I preview my product and add it to the cart, it says that "This product is no longer available."  What am I missing?  I have tried putting the file into a .pdf file (although I would rather keep it the original .pdf format), and have also replaced the spaces in the file name with underscores. 

Is there a way to do what I want?  Is it not working because it is a free product?  Is the only way to make it work to create one listing and have all of my templates as attachments to that listing?  If anyone has had similar issues or could offer any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks.

Joe

Shacker, I do not want them to have an expiration date so I did not set one.  My version is 1.6.0.9.  El Patron, the file is uploaded for the product through the virtual product tab.  I was going to attach a picture to show the virtual product settings but it looks like I need to link to it to show it in the forum.  I will upload it when i get back to my computer.  Here are the basics:

File uploaded through that page, file name visible now on the page

Link to the file:  I can download or delete it from the back office

number of allowed downloads: 0

Expiration Date: blank (i do not want an expiration date)

Number of days: 0 (it says "set to zero for unlimited access" but i assume it means 0 since it wont let me save zero

Ok, this is a little embarrassing, but others may find it helpful.  I assumed that a virtual product would act the same as a tangible product.  I always preview my products prior to listing them to make sure that they are working correctly.  The virtual products seem to be unavailable if the product listing is not active.  I turned the product listing on (so I could put a link of what it was doing so you could help me troubleshoot) and it worked.  Thanks guys, I appreciate your help and I hope my embarrassing moment will be helpful to someone else in the future.

• Like 1