"add to cart" broken with javascript disabled

to reproduce:

1) turn off javascript
2) go to the online demo, and view a product (ipod touch for ex. http://www.prestashop.com/demo/music-ipods/7-ipod-touch.html)
3) then if you change the size to any other gigabyte model, in the drop down selection, and add to cart, it always adds the default 8gb model.

is there anyway to fix this? i want presta shop to work fully with and without javascript.

thanks!

Javascript is used extensively within Prestashop and it cannot work properly without it, but since 95% of browsers have it enabled, I don't think it is a problem. It would require a lot of modification to remove all the Javascript from Prestashop.

@ rocky
I don't want to remove all javascript from prestashop. I am happy with how prestashop behaves when javascript is turned off EXCEPT it adds the wrong item to the cart when there are different options for product size. I am asking if there is a way to fix this, and only this one issue.

obviously, the form is being submitted properly, as there is an ipod added to the cart. the problem is that not all the parameters of the form (such as size) are posted to the server. this should not be dependent on javascript at all.

• 10 months later...

Now, this thread is almost one year old but that bug hasn’t been fixed yet. I’m kind of a purist and progressive enhancement evangelist and it really bothers me that (unreliable) JS is used for basic functionality. Unfortunately I’m not all that good with PHP so I’m not quite sure how to fix this myself. Is there a simple way to solve this at least temporarily?

• 2 months later...

The problem of Xqntor is now solved, we need to have javascript enabled.

The two js (product.js and tools.js) used to make combinations work, still works on the version 1.4.2 of jquery so we just re-integrate those two files to our website.

• 2 months later...

That’s not a solution to the problem, though. Actually it’s unacceptable to provide a web software that doesn’t work without javascript. In fact, it’s just not at all necessary to require JS for a basic submission of a form (and that’s what it is) unless the programmers are thinking about gimmicks way too early in the development process. The fact that I can’t even post a reply here in _this forum_ with JS disabled speaks volumes (about the carelessness of the developers). That’s just unprofessional. You had a chance to make things better in version 1.4 but the only thing you managed was to switch to jQuery 1.4.4 (when at the time of the release of PS 1.4 jQuery had evolved to version 1.5.1 already), YAY!

I’m sorry, I’m too much getting worked up by this. I don’t mean to offend you guys, it just makes me angry at times to see such basic requirements fail that aren’t even harder to implement if done properly from the beginning. I _really_ hope you’re going to implement that in the next version. Until then I’ll have to accept to lose potential customers due to this shortcoming. :(

• 2 months later...

Current zencart user testing new carts, including Prestashop. Just now looking in to the customer issue if they have javascript turned off. My google analytics say 14% have it off.

My current zencart works completely with js turned off.

Prestashop almost works, except for the attribute options going in to the cart as default. Afterward, cannot see order details.

(cs-cart and opencart do not seem to work at all; either cannot add to cart or, if so, cannot properly checkout).

If a significant number are still without javascript enabled, is it possible to alert them to turn it on, as PayPal does? Other than putting up our own banner.

• 6 months later...

Is this still the case that a customer needs JS enabled just to add an item with a combination to the cart? If so, that is ridiculous. According to statistics, approx 2% of North America and Europe have JS disabled. That's approximately 18 million users. That's a huge number that won't be able to shop properly using Prestashop! To be honest this is pretty unacceptable for such a popular open source platform.

Here is an interesting infographic-esque article that illustrates this point

http://www.searchenginepeople.com/blog/stats-no-javascript.html