Required attribute selection

The most of the product selling today have more than one attribute, t-shirts (size, color), shoes (size, color, material), electronics (size, color, and a lot more…) etc. so testing Prestashop I realized that something very important is missing, and that would be an option to set the default attributes to “choose”, and when the client clicks the “add to cart” button, a popup message will appear alerting him to choose the attributes.

So if for example I sell boots with 3 attributes – size, color and material, when a client opens the product information window the size will be set to “choose size”, the color to “choose color” and the material to “choose material” and the client should not be able to add the product to the shopping bag until he chooses all the necessary product attributes.

I have found some solutions for older version of Prestashop (writing javascript code), and they do not work with prestashop 1.6.0.9. There are similar posts to this one, but they have never been answered.

Can someone give the solution please?

• Like 1

The most of the product selling today have more than one attribute, t-shirts (size, color), shoes (size, color, material), electronics (size, color, and a lot more…) etc. so testing Prestashop I realized that something very important is missing, and that would be an option to set the default attributes to “choose”, and when the client clicks the “add to cart” button, a popup message will appear alerting him to choose the attributes.

So if for example I sell boots with 3 attributes – size, color and material, when a client opens the product information window the size will be set to “choose size”, the color to “choose color” and the material to “choose material” and the client should not be able to add the product to the shopping bag until he chooses all the necessary product attributes.

I have found some solutions for older version of Prestashop (writing javascript code), and they do not work with prestashop 1.6.0.9. There are similar posts to this one, but they have never been answered.

Can someone give the solution please?

Maybe there is a module for this?

I had a look around for a solution to this issue a while back and could not find anything.

The problem is that Prestashop shows the default attribute in the drop down rather than a blank field with a message like "Choose your color". 

• Like 1

I had a look around for a solution to this issue a while back and could not find anything.

The problem is that Prestashop shows the default attribute in the drop down rather than a blank field with a message like "Choose your color". 

I was very curious about this and I checked some others shopping cart sollutions and probably the most of them do not have this problem. I checked Magento and OpenCart.

saldy, at the moment default prestashop has got only option to "disable" add to cart option from product listings, instead of add to cart you will see only "view more" button (link to product page) where attributes appears.

default prestashop 1.6 has got feature to display colors on product listings, and at the moment it's the only one "official / default" feature

• Like 1

saldy, at the moment default prestashop has got only option to "disable" add to cart option from product listings, instead of add to cart you will see only "view more" button (link to product page) where attributes appears.

default prestashop 1.6 has got feature to display colors on product listings, and at the moment it's the only one "official / default" feature

Thanks for the reply, but what about modules, is there any module free or paid that resolves this issue?

• 1 month later...

Is this something that is likely to change? 

It seems like a pretty big issue to have. I'm coming from Magento and miss this feature greatly.

In Magento I used to be able to use the quick add to cart button which would load an ajax window which required me to select attributes before adding to the cart.

I'd love to see this in Prestashop too!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I would be very interested in solution for this problem, my store has a lot of clothes and making one size default makes users mad and hurts sales. I was planning on moving my store to Prestashop, but current arrangement with default size is a deal breaker. To bad because I really like a lot of other things it can do.

• 1 month later...

You can hide the Add to cart button from the category page for products that have attributes and are offered in different combinations. You can do this from the backend of your PrestaShop. After you log in to the back office, click on the Preferences tab and then on the Products sub-tab. Find the option Display the "add to cart" button when a product has attributes and mark the No button. Then click on the Save button at the bottom of the page, and that's it. Now a product that has attributes can be added to the cart only from the product page, and not from the category page.

• Like 1

You can hide the Add to cart button from the category page for products that have attributes and are offered in different combinations. You can do this from the backend of your PrestaShop. After you log in to the back office, click on the Preferences tab and then on the Products sub-tab. Find the option Display the "add to cart" button when a product has attributes and mark the No button. Then click on the Save button at the bottom of the page, and that's it. Now a product that has attributes can be added to the cart only from the product page, and not from the category page.

Yes, but that is not a resolution for the problem. Since my post here about this problem, I never came back to Prestashop and I will not until this feature is offered. So, you hide the ADD TO CART button and open the product page, then you have the same problem again.

• Like 1

Well guys i searched around and found this: http://www.prestasho...ions/?p=1754797

I commented out my original code and added this in my product.tpl

<option value="choose" selected="selected" title="--choose--">{l s='--Please Select--'}</option>
{foreach from=$group.attributes key=id_attribute item=group_attribute}
<option value="{$id_attribute|intval}" {if (isset($smarty.get.$groupName) && $smarty.get.$groupName|intval == $id_attribute)} selected="selected" {/if} title="{$group_attribute|escape:'html':'UTF-8'}">
{$group_attribute|escape:'html':'UTF-8'}
</option>
{/foreach}

Then in back office i changed translation from

"This combination does not exist for this product. Please select another combination" to "Please select your combinations !!!"

And lastly in themes/my_theme/css/product.css on line 747 changed colour to red

background-color: #ff0000;

Seems to work with mutiple dropdowns as well

The only problem with this is it only works with dropdowns, not radio buttons or the color picker.

So the only way i can see  this working is to have all attributes as dropdowns.

I would also move the "Please select your combinations !!!" message box so it is above the dropdowns instead of to the left

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As I can see, there're no good solution for that in Prestashop until now, and authors of Presta don't think the solution is really needed. It means that Prestashop isn't an out-of-box system for many of us. That's very sad. I like presta. I'll try to find a solution for the problem, because I need it very much, but maybe authors will hear us and make the feature in the future?

• Like 2

• 2 months later...