PayPal Express on Product Pages

Hi Everyone,

First off, we've had a lot of trouble with PayPalUSA module (1.3.4).  Regular paypal checkout just did not work.  We may try future versions, but we found we have to go with PayPal 3.6.8 for now.  We are in Canada and currrently on PS 1.6.0.8.

Second - For those of you who are experiencing the following email on a regular basis:

"A client has encountered a problem with the module PayPalAPI, see the report:"

This happens when a customer clicks on the PayPal Express button on a product page when the product is out of stock. 

My question of course is - can we disable this button on the product page if a product is no longer in stock? 

it is possible, it would require a module change to detect if the product is out of stock or not, and if the merchant does not allow ordering for out of stock products.

I think the real issue is why would Paypal care if the product is out of stock.  What data is missing or incorrect when sent to Paypal in this scenario.  Have you performed any troubleshooting of this yet?

Also, paypalusa v1.3.6 was released with a bunch of fixes I submitted.  Could you elaborate on the issues you were having with v1.3.4, I can tell you if they were addressed or not.

I haven't done any debugging or anything... I just think this should be a no brainer... don't let someone click on the button for an out of stock product that you can't add to a cart.

Yes... this biggest issue was that when someone checkout out with regular paypal, when they returned to our website, they were shown a 404 error page and the order wasn't created.  The fact that it wasn't able to complete an order was a deal breaker for us.

Do you have a list of fixed put into 1.3.6?  Thanks

yes, the 404 issue was addressed.  However I'm told a v1.3.7 will be released tomorrow, so if you are looking to try paypalusa again, then I would wait until v1.3.7 is released.

I'm not sure its a no brainer, alot of stores allow ordering out of stock products, and Prestashop also allows this.  so again the question is why does this scenario break Paypal, there must be some data missing. 

paypalusa 1.3.7 was released, but I don't see any changes related to out of stock behavior. 

Looking at the code, they already do a quantity check, so I have to assume you are referring to Paypal Europe?

$product_quantity = Product::getQuantity((int)Tools::getValue('id_product'));
        if ($product_quantity == 0)
            return;

Looking at Paypal Europe v3.6.8, they do not do a quantity check in the php code, but they do appear to do a check in javascript, and hide the button if quantity is 0.  Perhaps you have a javascript error on your product page that causes this to fail?

So if you move to paypalusa, then I think the issue should be resolved for you.

If you stay with Paypal Europe, then you need to determine what is causing the javascript to fail or not execute.  Alternatively, you just need to add the above code to the modules 'hookProductFooter' function.

that tells me that you are not receiving the Paypal IPN, or that the IPN is failing.  so that is progress, since you are not getting the 404 page error now.

Now you need to determine what is up with that IPN.  when you test paypalusa, are you putting the store in maintenance mode, or using a server that is not accessible to the internet?

you could also log into your paypal account, and review your IPN history to confirm that they are being sent, and what type of response Paypal is receiving for them.

Ok... my IPN URL is set at modules/paypalusa/validation.php and the IPN looks like it is sent fine as it's saying

Delivery status: Sent.  Every goes fine, payment is made, but no order is entered into prestashop and the products remain in the cart.  I'm not sure what else to do here except wait for 1.6.1 and try again.