Just broke my shop after manual update on localhost

So, I have been trying to update from 1.5.3.1 to 1.5.6.2 without success on my host: (details here)

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/336678-running-into-resource-limitations-unable-to-use-1-click-upgrade/?do=findComment&comment=1708397

With DH42's and Benjamins guides, I set up my live site on xampp, updated it to 1.5.6.2 in about 6 minutes, spent another 10 minutes tweaking so everything worked. I then dleted the database on the live server and imported the new 1.5.6.2 database. I uploaded the entire directory from my old site, now updated with 1.5.6.2 and uploaded back to the live server.

Now, nothing works. I was able to log into BO temporarily but it shows it's still 1.5.3.1. Anytime I try and access any menu items, I get a 500 error. I got the maintenance page to show up once but now 500.

What have I done?

PS_SHOP_DOMAIN set to www.whispardesign.com

PS_SHOP_DOMAIN_SSL set to www.whispardesign.com

settings.inc.php has been changed to reflect the live server info

PS_SHOP_URL domain and SSL are set correctly

defines.in.php settings

_PS_MODE_DEV_', true

@ini_set('display_errors', 'on');

Yes, I have backups but good lord, what does it take to update? I have really made a mess of things.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Edited by Whispar1 (see edit history)

So I dumped all files in the database and files on the server, uploaded all files from my local update. Able to log into BO but can not access many of the pages (i/o limits peaking) I uploaded my old .htaccess file from before the upgrade and it does help. I can at least access menu items. FO will still not display in live mode 

Undefined index: category (/home/xxxxxxxx/xxxxxxxxxx/cache/smarty/compile/dc/44/a6/dc44a6151094e0afdb6fb5fa435d6964ebdcfb82.file.header.tpl.php, line 73)

Strangest thing of all, the BO configuration still shows 1.5.3.1 even though the update to 1.5.6.2 went through flawlessly in under 5 minutes.

Still working at it....

Definitely dude :)

That is also in the works - believe me!

I would do that first.  I think this has caused you untold grief and lost time.  I know for sure you got incompatible cubey thing, good lawd...go to the cloud...then upgrade...

if you can run it on localhost abut not remote...it's remote...not ps...

so don't walk, run to better environment.

I like dh42 article (thanks Leslie!) 

http://blog.dh42.com/prestashop-cloud/

• Like 1

I agree- great article! I actually have a test 1.6 site up on the cloud. Just getting from 1.5.3.1 to that is daunting... for me anyway. I should have never tried to upgrade (aside from things that are broken in 1.5.3.1 that I really need) otherwise the past year has been virtually troublefree.

move to new server before upgrading and I would go straight to the cloud, get good control panel and hosting back up plan (back up modules are useless if you can't access back office..jajajaja)

that's my advice, and I'm sticking to it.  

I'd already be on the cloud if I was not so lazy.  and dh42 is a rock star.  so we do what he say do.

• Like 1

and don't go to 1.5.6.2...1.6 is freaking dreamy... :wub:

So you are suggesting the major update to 1.6 rather than going 1.5.3.1 to 1.5.6.2 then up to 1.6?

And don't worry about deleting the other update posts - I tend to stay away from them so as not to get depressed ;)

So you are suggesting the major update to 1.6 rather than going 1.5.3.1 to 1.5.6.2 then up to 1.6?

And don't worry about deleting the other update posts - I tend to stay away from them so as not to get depressed ;)

1.5.6.2 is a fine release.  I think there will be one more  1.5 release in the near future.

I like 1.6 for a number of reasons but this will probably require updated template and possibly modules (module should be ok).

Personally for income producing shops, I prefer to pay to have upgrades done, otherwise it's like shearing a pig, a lot of squealing for very little wool.

I was actually able to successfully update a clone of my 1.5.3.1 to 1.5.6.2 on a dev site. No problems at all (after help from you two guys, some tweaks to php.ini and a little help with a server level modsecurity setting)

I'll post settings when I get them finalized so maybe it will help others.

However, taking it to 1.6.0.8 has the default theme all messed up. BO is fine. Question I have is... is there a downloadable version of the default bootstrap theme available? I'm thinking if there is a way to delete the default theme, I can reinstall it? Just a thought.

If not, I have a fresh install of version of 1.6.0.8 on another dev of which I can take the database from the recently updated version of my live clone site (1.6.0.8) and dump it into the fresh 1.6.0.8 install db?

One question if anyone knows this... is there a published list of dB tables in 1.6?

Since I have a fresh 1.6 install on a dev server and another clone of my live site updated to 1.6 with a screwed up front office - maybe I can move over essential db files into the fresh 1.6 install - just not sure what to dump.

The fresh 1.6 install has 271 tables and the updated 1.6 dev from my live site has 324

(P.S.. should I have started this in the upgrade section of the forum so maybe it can help others or is it okay in general?)