USA customers complaining that they cant 'select state'

Hi i have just installed the latest prestashop and wish i hadnt!

It has tonnes of bugs and errors and it is causing my business havoc and also profit loss!

One of which is this:

Customers who register from the USA are unable to 'select state' and therefore unless they email me they dont buy from me! How can I fix this? Any ideas folks or is this a techy error with the new version?

Secondly:

UK customers have to select an 'identification number' before they proceed, this is scaring off alot of the customers as they dont know what it is. They either email me and I cant help them or they email and dissapear when I offer to help set up their account... because they cant be doing with a slow business with errors on the page!! I have no idea what they are on about but they claim to have three options to choose from...

Can some one please shed some light on the situation, or am I being silly and totally missing something in back office which I should be fixing ASAP.

Thanks as usual folks!

Customers who register from the USA are unable to 'select state' and therefore unless they email me they dont buy from me! How can I fix this? Any ideas folks or is this a techy error with the new version?

The first thing is to confirm that the US country is configured to "contain states".  Do this from the Localization > Countries page of the back office.  Edit the US country and confirm the setting is Yes. If it is No, then change it to Yes

The second thing is to ensure that you have all the States, do this from Localization > States.  There should be 50 states that are defined in the US country.  53 if you consider Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands and DC.

Those 2 steps above are default on new PS 1.6 installations, so I am going to guess they are ok (unless you changed it after the install).

So the third thing is to confirm the theme that you are using.  If it is not the default bootstrap theme, and the 2 steps above are already configured properly, then I suspect you have a theme issue. 

UK customers have to select an 'identification number' before they proceed, this is scaring off alot of the customers as they dont know what it is. They either email me and I cant help them or they email and dissapear when I offer to help set up their account... because they cant be doing with a slow business with errors on the page!! I have no idea what they are on about but they claim to have three options to choose from...

Similar to US country, edit the UK country and see if the field "Do you need a tax identification number?" is enabled.