settings.inc.php problems

I am trying to complete an install but get the following error

Can't create settings file, if /config/settings.inc.php exists, please give the public write permissions to this file, else please create a file named settings.inc.php in config directory.

I created said file and set permissions but keep getting same error...

thanks

The installer actually creates this file for you, so you need the config directory set to CHMOD 777
in fact every install I do for Pretsashop I use the following settings.

777 CHMOD on root directory ie. "httpdocs" or if your shop is not in the root directory. maybe your would just CHMOD "shops" or something like that. When using your FTP client the best method to ensure all directories are CHMOD 777 is to Recurse into subdirectories Please see me example below using Fiezilla. you may not need to do this depending on you server config.

1218_W4NJ3MQYhyvfF95UoPin_t

• 2 years later...

I also face the similar problem, to get it solve do the following

The problem here is, user is not having write permission for this config folder (Even if the installation shows it green)

In IIS go to virtual directory property->Directory security->Anonymous access and authentication contorl -> edit

You have already allowed anonymous access..But problem is the user account for anonymous access dose not have write permission for the config folder.

Solution - 1) Either give write permission to this user OR
2) Click browse and add a user having write permision (like administrator)

And you are done !!! :)

The installer actually creates this file for you, so you need the config directory set to CHMOD 777 in fact every install I do for Pretsashop I use the following settings.

Then probably every install is vulnerable since that would be "world writable". You should never have a configs directory chmod 777. The slightest vulnerability in any software release (they do happen) within your web space could leave your whole store hacked including the database behind it since the settings file has the db information in it. That would be the same database that contains your customer payment information.

Proper server security is the first step in e-commerce peace of mind. Then install a secure application a top that and keep it updated and patched.

Cheers,

Wil

• 2 months later...
I also face the similar problem, to get it solve do the following

The problem here is, user is not having write permission for this config folder (Even if the installation shows it green)

In IIS go to virtual directory property->Directory security->Anonymous access and authentication contorl -> edit

You have already allowed anonymous access..But problem is the user account for anonymous access dose not have write permission for the config folder.

Solution - 1) Either give write permission to this user OR
2) Click browse and add a user having write permision (like administrator)

And you are done !!! :)

Here are expanded directions on how to change Anonymous Authentication for IIS6 and IIS7 :

http://blogs.iis.net/nitashav/archive/2010/02/15/iis6-0-ui-vs-iis7-x-ui-series-anonymous-authentication.aspx

You will need to give the IUSR_yourdomain.com user Full Access rights to the /config and /tools/smarty/compile directories.

The setup process should complete without errors.

MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THE FULL ACCESS RIGHTS FROM THE FOLDERS AFTER YOU ARE DONE!!

• 5 months later...

I have made the adjustment as indicated above but I am still receiving the same message:

Can't create settings file, if /config/settings.inc.php exists, please give the public write permissions to this file, else please create a file named settings.inc.php in config directory.

Can someone please help me.

• 7 months later...

I am having the same issue after changing the write permissions has anybody here solved this issue I can see the CHMOD 777 on all directories and sub directories but this is a security issue i presume ? And if I do this via Filezilla to be honest I dont know how to change all the files back to proper permissions .

Has anybody been able to solve this?