Shipping Options

Normally if they are valid for the order. But stop and ask yourself if you have ever seen a site that has 20 different shipping options and if it would be a good idea to show that many. 

• Like 1

I appreciate the input, but that is not at all helpful.

Somebody else set this up with a bunch of default shipping options and not all of the ones I want to show up are. If they were all there it would be a simple matter of removing them, but I cannot figure out why the list the customer sees is a small subset of the available options.

So, is there somewhere this list is configured that I haven't found yet?

Are the shipping options valid for the order? Not all shipping options are available for all locations. 

edit:

Let me further explain. Most carriers have size and weight restrictions on their shipping methods. Are you sure your products fall within those ranges for the ones that are not showing up. 

• Like 1

If you would be so kind as to look at the attached images, you will see, for instance, that the person who set it up set up USPS First Classs Mail as one shipping options and USPS Priority Mail as another. They look to be set up the same to me, $0-100, US, up to 1000lbs, etc. Nothing that my test order would invalidate. But, if you look at the other image,  you see that only the Priority mail option shows up in the list. I would like to get the First Class option on the list. What could be preventing this?

Honestly, yeah kind of. The only reason I know it is because I deal with shipping for my clients. It is not something that I wanted to learn, but if I wanted to do business I needed to learn it. What most of my clients do is research the options and say that we are only going to offer these 3 options for domestic and only these 3 options for international. If you try to offer everything, you are going to give yourself a headache. I would offer first class if some of your items are small enough, flat rate, and then an express option. People are exactly like you are, they don't know the difference between the shipping options, they 9 times out of 10 choose the lowest cost one. But as a business owner you have to look at your costs as well. Say you ship something priority and it is $7,65 cost to you. Then you have to buy a box for it to ship in. If you shipped it flat rate it might be less by the time you buy a box. 

I am not trying to be rude with my answer, shipping is just a pain. It is hard to figure out what you are going to offer, and how you are going to present it. 

Okay this is really good advice and I really appreciate it.

However, I still don't understand why the developer set all of these up and only certain ones show up. So if/when I ever wanted to have different options I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to do it.

There is so much blind/undocumented stuff that happens in the modules it's like magic is happening which makes it nearly impossible to troubleshoot. If it works, great. If not....

Maybe a different way to ask the question is: how to you prevent a configured shipper from showing up on the shipping options page?

I'll test to see if a one oz product would show the 1st class option.

More than likely what he did was enable all of the options in the shipping module. The way the module works is that when you enable a shipping option it creates a carrier to go along with it. 

I don't know who the developer is, but it may be a case that he is from another country and not familiar with how the USPS works, or he just enabled everything knowing that some of the choices would work.

The basic way the module works is this some one adds products to their cart and then goes to checkout. If you have sizes and weights entered, it sends this information to the USPS servers. Then the USPS server responds with the cost for each shipping method. If a shipping method is not supported, by either size or weight, it does not respond with information for that shipping option. Below is an image of what the raw xml that USPS responds with.

http://screencast.com/t/6JW06JJ87

• Like 1

This is great information and I really appreciate it. My developer was US, but basically he sold me what he wanted, Prestashop, which is not what I needed. Or at least, I sure didn't need to have to do all of this manual configuration. I cannot say I'm endeared to this model.

It seems like there must be a level of configuration you can see which I cannot. For instance, I do not see any place where I could've enabled all shipping options.

Also, in my current site, I once the customer places the order, I have to then manually go to the UPS/USPS web apps and input and print my own shipping labels. Is there anyway to automate this through Prestashop.

I'm sorry for all of the newbie questions, but this got dropped into my lap and every module I have to hook up and figure out is like a brand new piece of undocumented software to me.