Everything I've seen wrong with the PayPal module and 1.6

walvin

So I've been doing some tests with paypal and I'm seeing A LOT of issues.

I figured compiling them all here would be a good idea since a lot of people are having problems. It also seems most people who could help do not have experience with the latest versions (not their fault, they set their stuff up a long time ago) so I will attempt a walkthru of sorts and explain what I'm seeing.

If you see anything I missed please let me know.

Some info:

This is a brand new install of the latest prestashop 1.6.0

I'm using the latest "Paypal USA, Canada" module set up in sandbox. I am testing Paypal Standard, Paypal Express Checkout, and Paypal Standard w/ Express Checkout together.

I have guest checkout set to off.

I am using the default theme.

I am using the deafult shipping option.

I am doing this testing through the latest version of Firefox.

some are cart killers, some are poor design choices, and some may be specific to me.

How I tested and placed orders:

1. logged out registered user, put item in cart, logged in when asked, finished checkout.

2. new user, put item in cart, register or logged into paypal when asked, finished checkout.

I purchased the default "Printed Chiffon Dress" for $16.41 in every order.

===========

Paypal Standard issues:

- The "Pay with Paypal" button is on the left yet every other checkout button is on the right, took me a second to realize it was even a payment button since it looks more like an image stating we take paypal. As a customer I suddenly feel very lost. The button is hosted offsite and I have no option to change it. :\

- The amout in the shopping cart is $19.15, yet the amount on the paypal payment screen is $19.23. On the Paypal payment screen an additional $0.08 is being added to the shipping costs. Not sure why.

- *DEAD CART* When I get to the end of the cart and click the Paypal button, I'm redirected to the Paypal login screen. I sign into Paypal and click "Pay Now", a transaction number is displayed from paypal and I have to manually click "Return To Store". This loads yet another paypal screen and after a few seconds I am redirected back to my store, to a 404 page. The item is still in my cart and although I have been charged via paypal (I have the money in my other account) no order went through the backend.

CONCLUSION: This is completly broken. I take my customers money yet I never get the order info.

===========

Paypal Express Checkout issues:

- In the admin section on the paypal module configuration page I cannot uncheck Show Express Checkout Button, "On Product page" or "On Shopping Cart". I can uncheck it, but the option will not save.

- The Express Checkout button is nowhere to be seen on the product page.

- the "Checkout with paypal" button is underneath the "Procede With Checkout" button, but this is super confusing. Which do I click? Who knows. I cannot remove it due to the admin area bug.

I guess I'll try both....

Clicking Procede with Checkout asks me to login in or register then takes me though the checkout steps. At step 05. Checkout I have a paypal button (same as before, on the left and its purpose is not clear), but when I click it I get this error:

Unexpected payment error

Unfortunately, an error occured while communicating with PayPal.

Short Error Message: Transaction refused because of an invalid argument. See additional error messages for details.
Detailed Error Message: The totals of the cart item amounts do not match order amounts.
Error Code: 10413

I suspect this is due to the difference in the shipping cost that I saw before.

Clicking Check Out With Paypal takes me straight to express checkout. Good so far. I log in, click continue/pay now, I'm redirected back to the shopping cart and I'm asked to pick a shipping carrier (but no address option), then I am directed to 05. Checkout with no real instructions.

Did the payment go through? Did I order? What in the world is going on....then I click the Paypal button again and the order is completed. Wut?

The order did go though, I confirmed in the backend. 

But wait, I was a logged in user. Now I have been registered as a new user with my paypal email address as my username and my shipping address set as my paypal info (and the order going to my paypal address)!

CONCLUSION: Still broken. Admins can't remove the paypal checkout button, and using the prestashop cart button asks me to log in and then breaks the order. Using the paypal button registers me as a new user with my paypal info even though I am a returnning logged in customer. A very confusing checkout but at least an order went through.

===========

Paypal Standard w/ Express Checkout issues:

The exact same issues as above, combined together...with even more confusion. I now have multiple paypal buttons at step 05. Checkout. This is nuts, these buttons look the exact same yet do completly different things. All break the cart in one way or another as detailed above.  

===========

So yeah, there you have it.

If I missed anything or I'm doing something stupid, or you know how to fix some of this mess... PLEASE let me know :)

Edited by walvin (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have the same problem with the PayPal Europe checkout - AND its been taken off the ADDONs site too - so I cant redownload it and reinstall! What is going on?  Im am losing customers and getting complaints - I have seen this issue raised before with no solution from PayPal or PS.

Someone please help!

I will be watching this thread to see if anyone picks this up (if you dont mind).

Thanks in advance!

W

walvin, thanks so much for your detailed feedback with your experience using the PayPal module 1.6. We know that there is real work to be on to this module in order to make it the most User Friendly and as issue-free as possible. I will use this as an example to provide feedback to the product team. 

• Like 2

Thank you. I'm glad I could help. I hope there is a working update soon, if there is anything else I can do to speed up the process please let me know. I really love Prestashop and I really really want to use it but without paypal I'm sunk. 99% of my orders are paid with paypal.

Still playing with it. I did figure out how to fix the 404 page with Paypal Standard, yet orders are not going through still. 

I noticed in modules/paypalusa/paypalusa.php on line 378 it says....

((int)version_compare(_PS_VERSION_, '1.4', '>')) ?

whereas in modules/paypalusa/expresscheckout.php on line 326 it's coded as....

if(	version_compare(_PS_VERSION_, '1.5', '<'))

Probaby nothing right? Well, I changed modules/paypalusa/paypalusa.php on line 378 to this...

((int)version_compare(_PS_VERSION_, '1.5', '<')) ?

and just like that the 404 page was fixed. A little odd, but hey, it worked. :)

Orders are NOT being registered, the items are still in the shopping cart, and you're still taking your customers money but at least they can see their order history now.

Hope it helps.

EDIT: changing this drops the .php on the return url, for whatever reason, which seems to clear up the 404.

Example...

This produces a 404 page: [yourwebsite]/order-confirmation.php?id_cart=10&id_module=68&key=[yoursecretcode]

this does not: [yourwebsite]/order-confirmation?id_cart=10&id_module=68&key=[yoursecretcode]

I decided to give the Paypal Europe module a try so I deleted paypalusa and ftp'ed it in. I can check out and pay but I get a blank page when it returns to the site after paying.

The error report says:

[06-May-2014 08:44:51 US/Eastern] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught exception 'PrestaShopException' with message 'Property Address->address1 is empty' in [mysite]/classes/ObjectModel.php:837
Stack trace:
#0 [mysite]/classes/ObjectModel.php(255): ObjectModelCore->validateFields()
#1 [mysite]/classes/ObjectModel.php(596): ObjectModelCore->getFields()
#2 [mysite]/classes/Address.php(186): ObjectModelCore->update(false)
#3 [mysite]/classes/ObjectModel.php(417): AddressCore->update(false)
#4 [mysite]/modules/paypal/express_checkout/payment.php(199): ObjectModelCore->save()
#5 {main}
  thrown in [mysite]/classes/ObjectModel.php on line 837

I tried setting the permissions to 755 recursive through files and folders but no luck.  I have it set up in sandbox, Paypal Standard. I also tried it with express checkout on but it didn't help. I tried it as Express Checkout only (selected in step 1), but it's the same.

• Like 1

Hi Walvin,

Im using PP Europe and I am having the same problem!  I dont know whether customers are seeing this all the time and not feeding back to me but my sales are no existent at the moment.

Interestingly, PP Europe is no longer on the ADDONs store and I cant find out why!

I also received an PayPal API Error Report from the module that was blank with no code!  So I am glad you have some report.

Please let me know how this goes because I dont know what to do!

Thanks,

W

• Like 1

walvin, thanks so much for your detailed feedback with your experience using the PayPal module 1.6. We know that there is real work to be on to this module in order to make it the most User Friendly and as issue-free as possible. I will use this as an example to provide feedback to the product team. 

Hi there,

Thats great news! How long do you think it will take to fix this as 100% of my sales are via PayPal and as it stands now (and for the last month) I have quite a few abandoned carts and no sales.  my site is www.ilovecollectables.com

Please help.

Thanks in advance,

W

Edited by LuvCollectables (see edit history)

It is a different issue I believe. Also, from what I can tell PP Euro is made by 202commerce and Paypal USA,Canada, And Mexico is made by the same team that made Prestashop so they would need separate issue reports anyway.

I could be wrong though, I've been here less than a day :)

It's good to know I'm not the only one having this problem. Have you checked your modules/paypal/express_checkout/error_log ? That's the folder I'm getting my error report from, it may be the same for you.

It is a different issue I believe. Also, from what I can tell PP Euro is made by 202commerce and Paypal USA,Canada, And Mexico is made by the same team that made Prestashop so they would need separate issue reports anyway.

I could be wrong though, I've been here less than a day :)

It's good to know I'm not the only one having this problem. Have you checked your modules/paypal/express_checkout/error_log ? That's the folder I'm getting my error report from, it may be the same for you.

Oh, thats going to be a pain...Im a newbie too and I have no knowledge of coding and wouldnt know where to find that folder for the report.  I cant even find how to raise the topic myself in this forum...pretty helpless and just hoping that an update will fix this as I am about to dump my store and start again on a different platform...If I knew code it would be a different story : (

W

I figured out how to get Paypal Standard working. There is a bug in the taxes that adds an additional tax to the shipping when it goes to paypal. When it comes back to you the amounts do not match up and Paypal kills the order, apparently without any sort of error code.

Here is a detailed post on the issue and how to easily fix it (and the 404 error too, by the way). http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/328666-how-to-fix-paypal-usa-133-prestashop-1606-getting-404s-not-fulfilling-orders-on-return/

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi, it seems like the latest Paypal module still are giving faults code when customer purchase.

Price paid on paypal is not the same that on PrestaShop.

Paypal module 3.7.2

Any suggestions?

I need an alternative to this god damn module, why is it so hard just to install / set API and allow payments?

I can't even produce / find the error in my logs for god sake and its slowing down my launch!

PLUS no one on here seems to be replying???

• 3 weeks later...

It seem that today the Paypal module still doesn't work as expected and I'd say it is a pretty critical module.

Using Paypal 3.7.2 (not PP usa).

When I use Express checkout both from the product and from the checkout page the customer money is taken but he is redirect back from Paypal to the cart as if the payment didn't go through.

The customer can then add products to the cart on top of the existing products but when checking out again he gets an error.

I had to disable express check out because of this behaviour.

Another problem (maybe it's theme related), a customer can checkout without checking "Agree to the ToS".

The button design and position is pretty poor but there are more urgent issues I guess.

Cheers.

Alot of people are complaining about this! and word is spreading, lots of people and shop owners i have spoken to are now moving to Magento or even back to virtuemart.

Not having Paypal working for all english speaking regions seems really dumb and should be made a top priority.

I talked my clients into having prestashop as i thought it was better... only to have my client tell me "well at least virtuemart works with paypal"..

Whats my come back to that team? I like many others are desperate and now im out of pocket because i cannot get paid by my client unless their site can be considered finished.

Please please please get a fix going because i even saw one of your admins tell someone to spend money on getting a coder in.. I AM A CODER AND I AM HAVING ISSUES TOO..

HELP!!!   my rents going to be late and your support team dont seem to understand this is peoples income and jobs here!

you want me to donate money no problem will do! but how can you offer something in the public domain if it doesnt work properly with Paypal ?? Thats like selling a car with a tyre size no one has!

keep up the good work as i appreciate everything your all doing but this ones costing alot of people money!!

Matt

I'm having the same problems as the OP, and it's delaying our site launch. Why has this been going on for MONTHS with no fix to a critical module?! 

I also really need to be able to change the checkout button image as we do not use PayPal for credit card payments.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi There,
I also experienced the 404 Problem in Express Checkout using the Standard PayPal Module, version 3.8.1.

When a customer adds a product and clicks the express checkout button, he's redirected to paypal to log in and click "next",then gets redirected to prestashop because the terms & services have to be accepted. After clicking that, BANG 404 !!!

I figured the referrer after clicking terms & service leads to 

/?fc=module&module=paypal&controller=confirm&get_confirmation=1

whereas the correct url should be:

/module/paypal/confirm?get_confirmation=1

Where can I fix that?

--- furthermore ---

Most recently the PayPal Express Button just dissapeared from the shopping cart page? don't know why...

well feels rather buggy to me ...

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Is it still not fixed for presta 1.6.1.3?

I am getting below error in module paypalusa. I have just configured latest prestashop and installed and configured paypalusa module. i have even not created any product or carrier no changes at all in default prestashop. I have only default product and carrier. 

Unexpected payment error

Unfortunately, an error occured while communicating with PayPal.

Short Error Message: Transaction refused because of an invalid argument. See additional error messages for details.
Detailed Error Message: Item total is invalid.
Error Code: 10426
Please contact our Customer service and mention this error code to get this issue resolved.

My store URL is www.aso-iyi.com

At the express checkout end this is the error I see.

Prestashop 1.6 paypal module v3.10 updated version still not working

This transaction is invalid. Please return to the recipient's website to complete your transaction using their regular checkout flow.

For the paypal website payment standard after i on the debug mode

Array ( [0] => Making new connection to 'api-3t.paypal.com/nvp' [1] => Connect with CURL method successful [2] => Sending this params: [3] => METHOD=SetExpressCheckout&VERSION=106&PWD=GMMQ3CVW4QZHCRBF&USER=wahabcares4u2003_api1.yahoo.com&SIGNATURE=AFcWxV21C7fd0v3bYYYRCpSSRl31AZCIs38DRv9ghvNBCi1GxqB1fLUK&CANCELURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aso-iyi.com%2Forder%3Fpaypal_ec_canceled%3D1%26multi-shipping%3D&RETURNURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aso-iyi.com%2Fmodules%2Fpaypal%2Fexpress_checkout%2Fpayment.php&NOSHIPPING=1&BUTTONSOURCE=PRESTASHOP_EC&L_PAYMENTREQUEST_0_NUMBER0=16&L_PAYMENTREQUEST_0_NAME0=SJP006&L_PAYMENTREQUEST_0_DESC0=It+is+of+good+quality+Ankara+which+do+not+wash.+It...&L_PAYMENTREQUEST_0_AMT0=1100&L_PAYMENTREQUEST_0_QTY0=1&PAYMENTREQUEST_0_PAYMENTACTION=Sale&PAYMENTREQUEST_0_CURRENCYCODE=NGN&PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPPINGAMT=1200.00&PAYMENTREQUEST_0_ITEMAMT=1100&PAYMENTREQUEST_0_AMT=2300.00&ADDROVERRIDE=1&EMAIL=wilson_tara%40mail.com&PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTONAME=Wilson+Tara&PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOPHONENUM=08074551280&PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOSTREET=1437+Regent+Street%2C&PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOSTREET2=&PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOCITY=oyo&PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOSTATE=NG-OY&PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOCOUNTRYCODE=NG&PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOZIP=23401&SOLUTIONTYPE=Sole&LANDINGPAGE=Login&USER=wahabcares4u2003_api1.yahoo.com&PWD=GMMQ3CVW4QZHCRBF&SIGNATURE=AFcWxV21C7fd0v3bYYYRCpSSRl31AZCIs38DRv9ghvNBCi1GxqB1fLUK [4] => Send with CURL method successful )

Error occurred:

Please try to contact the merchant:

<b>PayPal response:</b>

TIMESTAMP -> 2015-12-31T08:45:38Z

L_ERRORCODE0 -> 10001

L_SHORTMESSAGE0 -> Internal Error

L_LONGMESSAGE0 -> Timeout processing request

---------------------------

In my private email I was notified by payal with this mail

Error reporting from your PayPalAPI module

A client has encountered a problem with the module PayPalAPI, see the report:

<b>PayPal response:</b><br />TIMESTAMP -> 2015-12-31T08:09:43Z<br />L_ERRORCODE0 -> 10001<br />L_SHORTMESSAGE0 -> Internal Error<br />L_LONGMESSAGE0 -> Timeout processing request

------

I have tried so many things but still yet not working have generate another Api but still yet not working