How to fix Paypal USA 1.3.3 & Prestashop 1.6.0.6 - getting 404's, not fulfilling orders on return.

walvin

After a couple of days of trying out every possible combination of Paypal (US & Euro) with PS 1.6.0.6 I've had absolutely no luck. I've talked with many other users on the forum with the same or similar issues so I know I was not alone.

I believe I've found something that will work and I want to share my solution. I have tested it in sandbox and everything worked perfect. Your mileage may vary, but I believe it will fix many of the problems people are posting.

First, a brief about what my issue was... when being redirected back to my site from paypal the order was getting lost. At first I was getting a 404 page but I fixed that (see below), but then the order was not being placed in the back end, the item was still in the user's cart, and no order was in the user's order history.

Ok, this is what I did step-by-step

1. Make sure you have modules/paypalusa installed, not modules/paypal (the euro version, it is totally different and gives me a blank screen so I gave up on it, I have not tested it yet with the following solution however).

2. Set up the module to run on Paypal Standard only with no express checkout. (others options may work so play around if you like but this is what worked best for me). Don't forget your api settings.

3. Now fix the 404 error when returning to the site from paypal...

In modules/paypalusa/paypalusa.php change line 378 from this...

((int)version_compare(_PS_VERSION_, '1.4', '>')) ?

to this...

((int)version_compare(_PS_VERSION_, '1.5', '<')) ? 

a very simple change, just copy and paste it. Just like that my 404 page was fixed! This removes the ".php" in the return url, which was giving the 404. There are a couple of other ways to do this but this is the cleanest solution I've found.

4. And now, this is what finally resolved it for me...cut off all taxes. Yep, taxes. Go to your admin panel > localization > taxes and click disable taxes at the bottom of the screen.

I noticed there is a bug that adds additional taxes to the shipping cost in the Paypal checkout. These taxes are not being charged to the shipping in your cart. The difference in price must be what is causing the issue.

NOTE: The default amount being added is the tax rate you have set up for the state your customer is in. Some states are 0% by default. This means you may think your shopping cart is fine(!) but when a user tries to buy from a state with taxes they are getting an error.  You would never know and this is super hard to detect by abandoned shopping carts.

By turning off taxes I am able to successfully place orders. Yes, It does suck and I've got to look into how I will handle this from a business perspective, but from a technical point of view this solved the problem.

Another option that *should* work is offering every item as free shipping. That's just my theory though, I have not tested that but it makes sense.

I hope this issue can be looked into more by the developers and an actual fix put out quickly because this really blows if you have to charge sales tax.

Anyway, this might work for you. If it does please post below and let me know. I will make a forge ticket for this issue as well.

You're good! I was emailed today by Prestashop and was told that a fix for the PayPal module is being tested and should roll-out on Monday...not sure if this is for both Europe and USA modules but will keep fingers crossed and hope it fixes this problem.  I am really worried that about this issue as it means abandoned carts and no sales until its properly fixed.

Thanks for all your help!  I have raised my own ticket/forum question, but have had no responses yet : (

W

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was having the same problem too! turns out if you have tax enabled on the shipping method as well as on each product, this creates a double tax and the order totals differ between paypal and your site... the way I fixed it: rather than disabling tax for the whole store (because I still have to charge sales tax for customers in my state), I disabled tax for each shipping method (shipping-->carriers-->select a carrier-->2.shipping locations and costs-->tax-->**select "no tax"**)

this allows me to keep my tax rules in place and fixes the issue with paypal not creating orders after someone has already paid! and also, free shipping is not an option for me because of the price structure of my products - I can't work the extra cost into the product pricing or my margins would disappear... however, an interesting observation about free shipping.. just out of curiosity I tested an order with free shipping enabled to see if it would charge tax as it should... and the tax rules quit working... I'm not sure why tax is so closely tied to shipping, but if I do find a way to allow free shipping to my customers, I still have to charge them tax! this is confusing to me... 

I was having the same problem too! turns out if you have tax enabled on the shipping method as well as on each product, this creates a double tax and the order totals differ between paypal and your site... the way I fixed it: rather than disabling tax for the whole store (because I still have to charge sales tax for customers in my state), I disabled tax for each shipping method (shipping-->carriers-->select a carrier-->2.shipping locations and costs-->tax-->**select "no tax"**)

this allows me to keep my tax rules in place and fixes the issue with paypal not creating orders after someone has already paid! and also, free shipping is not an option for me because of the price structure of my products - I can't work the extra cost into the product pricing or my margins would disappear... however, an interesting observation about free shipping.. just out of curiosity I tested an order with free shipping enabled to see if it would charge tax as it should... and the tax rules quit working... I'm not sure why tax is so closely tied to shipping, but if I do find a way to allow free shipping to my customers, I still have to charge them tax! this is confusing to me... 

I have the same configuration and still doesn't work

• 1 month later...

PayPal USA/Canada/Mexico 1.3.7 Problem

I've tried it out with Prestashop 1.5.6.2 - 1.6.0.9, all clean installs. I'm making a second round of clean installs without using only the default theme. I'm at 1.6.0.6 with the PayPal USA/Canada/Mexico 1.3.7 I'm not sure, but I believe that is the same module being bundled with all the Prestashop versions I've been trying. I've been on the phone with PayPal support, 3 different times, for more than a couple hours all together. I opened Firebug web console and captured the screen for you to see. I need to say one thing, there is NO PROBLEM with the seller email and believe me, I've tried all options there.

post-744695-0-75061900-1408221606_thumb.jpg

post-744695-0-21206000-1408221608_thumb.jpg

Sorry folks! The answer is here on the Forum only it's hard to find. An issue of this magnitude should be more prominently displayed.

The problem I have been experiencing has been solved. When entering your credentials, in the field "PayPal Business Account:" you should enter your email address.

• Like 1

Using Prestashop Ver. 1.6.8.  - I just updated the Paypal module to the the new Ver. 1.3.8 update, and it is working flawlessly from what I can tell.

1. I receive order confirmation notice upon PayPal checkout.

2. Prestashop is recording the order in back office (it is also recording as well as the eMagicOne Store Manager module)

3. I receive prestashop email notification of a new order, as well as the PayPal payment receipt.

4. Payment is showing in my store's PayPal account.

Considering I was having many of the same problems other folks have been having in this thread, this is good news indeed - and I've been working on this issue off and on for close to a year now! Here's to hoping it stays fixed!

Using Prestashop Ver. 1.6.8.  - I just updated the Paypal module to the the new Ver. 1.3.8 update, and it is working flawlessly from what I can tell.

1. I receive order confirmation notice upon PayPal checkout.

2. Prestashop is recording the order in back office (it is also recording as well as the eMagicOne Store Manager module)

3. I receive prestashop email notification of a new order, as well as the PayPal payment receipt.

4. Payment is showing in my store's PayPal account.

Considering I was having many of the same problems other folks have been having in this thread, this is good news indeed - and I've been working on this issue off and on for close to a year now! Here's to hoping it stays fixed!

Thanks for your information, I will try it.

I think we have wait for so long.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks walvin!!!! I am using Prestashop version 1.6.0.8 and Payypal version 1.3.8, and turning off taxes fixed my issue of receiving Paypal payment, but not getting an order created in Prestashop back end. I had already turned on IPN previously using http://myshop.com/modules/paypalusa/validation.php?pps=1.

Edited by itsfeistygurl (see edit history)

Disable IPN in your Paypal profile, it is not necessary.  Paypal will send the IPN based on what that module instructs Paypal to do.  The IPN URL you hard coded would apply to PS v1.4, not PS v1.6

What you need to do is debug the validation controller to determine why it is failing to create an order.

• 2 months later...

We are having exactly the same problem.

On PrestaShop 1.6.0.9, module PayPal USA, Canada version 1.3.8.

Shipping amount is sent to PayPal including taxes, and PayPal re-tax this amount so the total is wrong and mismatch with the cart.

Shipping amount should be sent to PayPal without tax as it is taxed after.

Did you find a solution since?

Did you reported the bug on the Bug Tracker Forge?

Thank you

After searching on Bug Tracker Forge we found a bug report about this:

http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PNM-2896

The solution suggested is working and have been pushed on GitHub but not accepted yet.

File : modules/paypalusa/views/templates/hook/standard.tpl

Line : 48

Replace

{assign var="paypal_usa_total_shipping" value=$cart->getOrderTotal(true, Cart::ONLY_SHIPPING)}

By

{assign var="paypal_usa_total_shipping" value=$cart->getOrderTotal(false, Cart::ONLY_SHIPPING)}

And the shipping amount sent to PayPal will be before tax.

• Like 1

deactivated taxes still doesn t change the issue

The issue being discussed is double taxing.  So disabling taxes should certainly correct the issue being discussed, since shipping charges would not contain taxes, nor would there be a discreet tax line going to paypal.

I would suggest you start by describing the issue you are having