Linking articles

musicmaster

We sell the same product type in two varieties: 200 gram (consumer size) and 1 kilo (business size). We turned it into two separate products in the PS database because solving this with attributes would mean extra clicks for the customer and be less transparent. 

Problem is that this concerns several hundreds of products and regularly some are withdrawn and some new take their place. Sometimes it happens when switching off the product that one variety is switched off while the other stays active.

So I am looking for a solution that if I switch off the 200 gram version the 1 kilo version will be switched off automatically too. I tried making a pack where 1 kilo is a pack of 5 200 grams but that doesn't work.

Does anyone know a solution how this could be implemented?

Musicmaster,

is there any way to recognise that the products are the same, only weight changes? Like same product name, reference number or so. You could use a trigger to turn it on/off when turning on/off one of them, but we need to find some field it can check upon if it's the same product, just different amount, as the product ID's are different.

(Not sure if the product name has the amount of weight in there or not?)

let me know what we can use to find out it's the same product, then we might be able to create a trigger in the database.

pascal

Hi Pascal,

Thanks for helping.

In most cases just the word "kilo" is attached. So "jelly babies" (=200 gram) becomes "jelly babies kilo". When the original name is too long it is sometimes abbreviated in some way. There are no other identifiers like reference numbers.