Tax problem, Urgent, please help!

Hi there, I have a strange problem with my website: http://phonepartsdirect.co.uk.

I enabled 20% of tax for all the products. It works fine in European countries, however, in countries other than Europe, the prices are all wrong.

For example, before you sign in, the prices are correct. When you sign in using a Norway address, the prices will be all changed (20% reduced).

I didn't set any tax rules in Localization. It's all default setting. In Prestashop 1.6 documentation, it said: "By default in PrestaShop, a tax applies to all countries/states/zones." I don't understand why the prices are different in other countires outside of EU.

Is this a bug?!

Can anyone help?

Edited by tonisky (see edit history)

You have to properly set zones, taxes and use the European VAT number module.

Thanks for your reply. But in Prestashop 1.6 documentation, it does said: "By default in PrestaShop, a tax applies to all countries/states/zones.", so why do I have to set tax for different zones manually?

Edited by tonisky (see edit history)

You may just need to ignore the documentation here. :P

(I will refrain from commenting on how often I've had to do that lately...)

I had to turn on zones, set up zones, taxes and tax rules. It's been a few weeks - and several other crises - since I had to do this, so I don't remember exactly what it was, however I do remember once I saw it, I was able to adjust the site to run properly world-wide very quickly.

Good luck!

You may just need to ignore the documentation here. :P

(I will refrain from commenting on how often I've had to do that lately...)

I had to turn on zones, set up zones, taxes and tax rules. It's been a few weeks - and several other crises - since I had to do this, so I don't remember exactly what it was, however I do remember once I saw it, I was able to adjust the site to run properly world-wide very quickly.

Good luck!

Thanks for your information.

I just realized I asked a stupid question. The reason why the prices reduced 20% when you sign in using a non-EU address, is simply because VAT is charged in EU countries only. VAT is not applicable for non-EU countries. I must be blind...

I'll mark the question as solved, as it is just a stupid question.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe now I am stupid but let me ask it for sure...

I am stated in the Netherlands and I created  a login as was I a customer in England which is part of the EU with 20% VAT. I have created the zone united kingdom with tax and tax rule so I should see the prices with 20% VAT ?

Please correct me on this..

post-765608-0-74523400-1400073348_thumb.jpg

post-765608-0-31970700-1400073349_thumb.jpg

post-765608-0-83263800-1400073349_thumb.jpg

post-765608-0-25079300-1400073350_thumb.jpg

Edited by rvzoest (see edit history)

Hi kerrianne42, thanks for replying. I have uploaded the screenshots as to my original post.

I have setup the zone United Kingdom 

I have setup the Tax rate to 21% (I have altered it to 20% after the screenshot)

I have created the Tax Rule uk sales tax and pointed it to United Kingdom and assigned uk sales tax to it and enabled it

In all groups (customer etc..) I enabled tax as well.

Applying the tax rules won't change the price in Back Office.

You will see the tax applied in the front end during the check-out process, after the customer identifies their location. If they're in Brazil (for example), no EU tax applies.

Try from the front and see if the tax rules are working.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, problem solved!

It seemed I overlooked the Tax rules INSIDE the country of origin you can apply the tax rates for other countries. The UK was not added to that list so it had no tax assigned to it.

post-765608-0-43142000-1401134846_thumb.jpg

As for me this thread can be closed.

Thanks all for sharing your knowledge in this one.