Update to 1.6, get a white front office

tdc666

I did a silly when I logged into the back office of my shop (1.5) and found a ton of modules needed updating - I went and updated them all, and it broke everything.
I should have searched the forums about updating the modules in 1.5, because then I would have seen that it will totally break your website.

Before going through and rolling back all the modules, I figured I would go ahead and just update to 1.6 and see what happens.

Well, what happens is a white page. I turned on error reporting and got the following - 

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$smarty in /home/cwlights404/public_html/shop/classes/module/Module.php on line 1863

Fatal error: Call to a member function createTemplate() on a non-object in /home/cwlights404/public_html/shop/classes/module/Module.php on line 1863

I'm assuming it has to do with my template, which is the original 1.5 template that I have heavily modified. 

I'm hoping I can somehow make this work, as I have hours and hours into my template and I would rather not have to start from scratch. 
Anyway, am I correct in thinking it's a template issue? 'createTemplate()' makes me think so.

do you have a backup of a good 1.5 shop?

I suggest getting a good 1.5 working as upgrading a broken shop may have just made things worse..(for sure it did) :)

the good news?  you may be the first ever to get this error as I can not find it with my search powers anywhere...even in  different languages...ave maria..

I have it backed up, yes. It wasn't broken until I updated the modules, and that itself didn't break the shop, just broke the modules. I did some reading on it and apparently 1.5 will prompt you to upgrade your modules to 1.6 compatible versions and then stop working in 1.5. A lot of people had this issue, I guess, I found a lot of threads about the issue. 

When I'm back at work on Monday I'll try to roll it back and see what that does. 

I have it backed up, yes. It wasn't broken until I updated the modules, and that itself didn't break the shop, just broke the modules. I did some reading on it and apparently 1.5 will prompt you to upgrade your modules to 1.6 compatible versions and then stop working in 1.5. A lot of people had this issue, I guess, I found a lot of threads about the issue. 

When I'm back at work on Monday I'll try to roll it back and see what that does. 

yea..that module issue was a big mess...many are still shell shocked... :blink:

the 1.5 incompatibility has been resolved..

Please let us know how it goes Monday.