[SOLVED] Ordered in USD but PayPal payment should be in GBP

Nick Lappage

Hi all,

I have just had an order from a UK customer, who ordered their product in $USD.

My product is priced at £159.99, and the $USD dollar conversion came out at $267.14. The Prestashop order invoice shows the correct payment in $USD, but when the PayPal payment notification came through, it showed the person actually paid $159.99 USD, which converted back to UK currency as £94.47. This meant I lost out on £65.52 GBP.

Any ideas on how to stop this from happening in the future? I can't seem to reproduce it myself.

If it helps, the person was using IE11 or something that produces this string 

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko

Using Prestashop 1.5.6.2 and PayPal module 3.6.1

I cannot see any updates in the module section.

Many thanks,

Nick

Edited by Nick Lappage (see edit history)

Well, I've just had another order from Canada, and this time the payment was made in USD. But once again it's converted incorrectly.

My product price in £GBP is £17.75 including tax

The Prestashop invoice shows 2 items at $24.73 = $49.46, and then VAT is added at 20%, giving the correct total of $59.35.

Shipping is then added @ $12.04 so the total in the prestashop invoice is $71.39 - all good so far.

When the customer pays by PayPal, the PayPal invoice shows 2 items at $17.75 USD (VAT included) with a total of $35.50 - this is just the GBP price with the $USD symbol. Oddly the shipping is correct, so it looks like there is just an error in the product calculations..

I tried another test payment but still can't replicate the error.

Any ideas and help gratefully received

Okay - I've now found out from the customer what happened. I'm using One Page Checkout. So they clicked on they PayPal yellow express checkout button but they found it took so long that they went to the other PayPal selection on the payment options box towards the bottom of the page. Clicked on the PayPal button which took them to the PayPal express checkout anyway.... and they saw that the pound sterling price was shown in dollars. 

So I can now replicate this consistently, by among other things, having refreshed my browser with CTRL F5. I have also noticed that I'm using PayPal module version 3.6.1 with updates showing in February 2014 but my other website uses 3.6.4 with updates showing in January 2014 (from cPanel data).

So why can I not get the same module updates on one website as I can with the other? I'm using the same version of Prestashop on both sites...

I'll try updating the PayPal module by copying the files from one site to the other and see how that helps, unless anyone has other ideas.

Nick

Hi Bellini,

I've just downloaded and installed it (3.6.5) but it's still giving the same problem with the payment of the goods going to USD with the same value of GBP.  As I said earlier, the shipping costs work correctly - it's just the product that fails. There's no need to pay anything to see how it fails, just take a look at http://calligraphyarts.co.uk/shop/ and see what happens when you add something to cart in £GBP and then click to pay by PayPal. I've even removed express checkout from one page checkout (I can now do this!!), but it hasn't helped.

Nick

Hi Bellini, 

I have just found that one of my modules from the same developer as the PayPal module was causing part of the problem. It's the AutoAddToCart by 202ecommerce. Uninstalling that module has partly fixed some of the problem in that the correct currency conversion now happens, so I won't lose money in the transaction, but it still makes PayPal show the transaction only in $USD instead of GBP.

Hopefully the developer will read his messages and sort this issue out soon.

Meanwhile AutoAddToCart is uninstalled!

Cheers,

Nick

[sOLVED] Doh!! It's so simple when you look further. The section under Modules/Payment shows the Currency Restrictions. The PayPal radio button was under US Dollar instead of the default shop currency. That must have changed sometime in an update recently. Anyway - it's all working now. 

Edited by Nick Lappage (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem, but I don't have AutoAddToCart by 202ecommerce module. How did you found that another module couse problem with PayPal wrong currency conversion?

In the post above yours, he mentioned the Currency Restriction area. It's not a module. When you go Modules > Payments, you'll see your payment modules. However, directly under it on that same page, you'll see Currency Restrictions. He said his was on US Dollars which was causing him the error, and so he set it to Default Shop Currency instead.

But for me on the other hand, mines was already on Default Shop Currency but the problem still persisted. So, I actually have mines on Customer Currency instead. I'm assuming with this option, the currency billed will be based on what the currency the customer has selected on the front-office of the shop.

Thanks so much, I have installed Prestashop  V1.6.0.11 & "Payments & Gateways" version 3.8.1 (Europe Version), I couldn't figure out why PayPal would always charge in USD instead of NZD but like you said under module/payment & changing the setting to "Customer currency" rather than "Shop default currency" & it works.