How do I customize my fixed header so it's not so big and move a couple things around?

generalexperts

I just made my header fixed. As you can see the margin below the horizontal menu bar (white space) cuts off the top of my page. How do I change that? Also I would like to tighten everything up so everything is not so spread out, it currently takes up so much space on my page.

...........LOGO ......................................................... ACCOUNT LOGIN.......CART.....

...........LOGO..........................................................SOCIAL MEDIA BUTTON...........

..........MENU BAR ..................................SEARCH BAR IN MENU..............................

Here's an image of what I have now. Please check it out. Any help is appreciated!!

Capture2.JPG

Im looking for something like this. It would stay in the center like it is now. Wide enough to align with all the other content below. I am trying to add a background image/color for the sides (and having the center and columns be a solid color).  But looking for a slick design like this below. If you notice I have some social media buttons on my site. i have HTML module, I'd like to be able to move that up into the header. Not 100% necessary, but it would be nice. I don't need the contact us|sitemap|bookmark that is at the top. Is it simpler to start with, how to make the header shorter, then move onto moving things around or move things around first?  Thank you!

Capture3.JPG

I'm sure lots of other people would like to know how to make more modifications to their header. I've made some progress on mine but still need more assistance on a few simple steps...

For the people looking to modify their header without hiring someone to do it, this will help you get started.

First get Firebug (plugin to Firefox) so you can look at the code so you can make changes and see what it looks like.

If you want to get rid of the links above like Sitemap, bookmark and contact, go to the permanentlinks block and you can remove them. Or you can go to the blockpermanentlinks.css file and modify them there.

Next go to your themes/shop and modify the header.tpl. This allows you to make changes to the margins. If you made your header fixed you will need to make modifications here.

To make changes to the search bar go to the blocktopmenu module and edit the superfish-modified.css. Again use firebug to help you play with the code to figure out what you want.

To change the "Login/register" go to your modules and edit the blockuserinfo.css. You can move its location and change what you need, ie font, color, etc...

Edited by generalexperts (see edit history)