Translations Changes Won’t Stick!

Hi

I am having a problem updating translation changes in the module section of my live site.

Each time I make a change, and click on update, I get the "Update Successful" message.

But when I then try to make a test order, the change has not stuck.

I can update the translations on the copy of my site I run on my local system and it works fine.

I then decided to try to export the translations from my local site and import them to the live site.

That worked and the translations have stuck.

However, if I then try to edit the translations in my live site's back office, the changes are lost and disappear from the translations fields!

This is driving me nuts and I have spend a couple of hours on it so far.

I'm running Version 1.2.4.0

Can anyone please shed any light on this?

Thanks
Deepee

P.S. Sorry, just realised I should have posted to " Configuration & use". I don't know how to move or delete it so hope a moderator can help.

I searched and found similar issues but found none that had been resolved.

You mention the issue is server related. I have checked permissions according to Prestashop installation instructions and everything that is supposed to be writable has the correct attributes.

Could you please point me to a thread on this forum or other relevant information so I know what to talk to my host about?

Thanks
Deepee

The user where you upload your files with and also checked you rights with is in most cases NOT the same user that runs the install/change script and therefore it could be that therefore changes are not saved.
Talk to your hoster and ask what te server-logs are saying.

I asked my host to look at this for me but they are not sure what this means.

I should also mention that the same user account that did the install is the one trying to make the translation changes.
Is there a way to set permissions globally in Prestashop for any admin user to change any files or run any scripts?

I also found out that my host runs phpsuexec and chmod 777 file permissions cannot be set under this version. It resorts to 755.
However, I suspect this is not an issue as everything else in my Prestashop installation works fine.

Can you please give me some more guidance on this?

Thanks
Deepee

This error can sometimes occur as a result of Suhosin / Hardened PHP being installed on your server. You can try adding the following 2 lines in .htaccess and save it in yourshop/admin folder:

suhosin.request.max_vars = 2048
suhosin.post.max_vars = 2048

It works for me, HTH.

Thanks for the suggestion Suthichaiu, but it doesn't work
I applied your changes to .htaccess but got: "Internal Server Error"

I also just had word back from my hosting company.
They looked at the logs and there are no errors on user permissions or file permissions.
They also went through the steps I have outlines above and encountered the same problem.

They say:- "Unfortunately this is something I am unlikely to be able to assist you with. This essentially sounds like a script issue where it's dropping the table and I'm honestly not sure why. The permissions on our servers are set as they should be (files 644, folders 755) to comply with the suPHP environment we are running. I'd recommend going back to PrestaShop and enquiring further about this issue with them, outline that we are using a suPHP environment and go from there."

So, back to the forum to see if anyone has any further ideas?

Thanks
Deepee

I'd recommend going back to PrestaShop and enquiring further about this issue with them, outline that we are using a suPHP environment and go from there."

I think that that is where most problems come from, suPHP.
It looks like there is an incompatiblility with the suPHP and servers running other php binaries.

Edit: I contacted my hoster and they informed me that suPHP runs scripts in a differend way then their servers and that is what is causing the problems.
I personaly think that if your hoster cannot solve the rights issue for the user that is running the scripts (this is NOT the same user as the FTP!) you have to move hoster or change the files localy and upload them to your server.

Thanks for the feedback.

I think it will be easiest just to make the changes to the local version and upload them to the online site.
The hosting service I am with is very good and I wouldn't like to change just because of this fairly minor inconvenience.

There must be a number of Prestashop users who will be similarly affected if their hosts run suPHP.
How do I bring this issue to the attention of the Prestashop development team? Perhaps they can look at a fix for future releases.

Thanks
Deepee

• 1 month later...

Hello to all,

my solution for this problems - when translations don't stick is as follows:

- Like was mentioned by Suthichai in this post it's problem with Suhosin module, which doesn't allow to post enough variables in one form
- In new file called php.ini you must write this two lines and put php.ini in yoursite/prestashop/admin directory:

And that should fix problems with translations not sticking/update not working.

• Like 1

Hi,

I have a similar problem updating to 1.2.4. Every time I try to update a line in the translations (Danish) most of the other lines already translated dissapear. I have tried creating a php.ini as gregyk suggested and plated it in the admin but it does not work.

ThanX in advance :-)

Dan

Hello to all,

- Like was mentioned by Suthichai in this post it's problem with Suhosin module, which doesn't allow to post enough variables in one form
- In new file called php.ini you must write this two lines and put php.ini in yoursite/prestashop/admin directory:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't your post contain exactly the same information as Sutichai's ?

As reported in my follow-up post it doesn't work for me and, I suspect, many others.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello to all,

Works in 1.5.17 version as well!

• 1 month later...

Please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't your post contain exactly the same information as Sutichai's ?

As reported in my follow-up post it doesn't work for me and, I suspect, many others.

Hi deepee,

HAve you find any solutions about this problem? I have exactly same problem as you; module translations don´t stuck? but other (front office translations, error message translations...) will work ok. Some months ago I can change module translations but not anymore?

Thanks,

Hannu

• 1 month later...

I have tried:

on Prestashop 1.2.5.0 hosted with 1&1 : Doesn't work for me.

It's strange because I thought I had done all these translations, some of them in the field blanks are even reminded by Safari's autofill so I did do that before. It just doesn't load (blank fields) and whatever I type isn't visible. And I do get a "Saved" message, but nothing is actually saved when I check.

It's not a whole text CSS problem, and I am safe within the quotas with the host.

If anyone can help...

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

My prestashop v.1.4.0.17

Translations Now working!!

Here's what I had to do:

1) Create php.ini file with the following:

memory_limit = 32M

max_input_vars = 5000

post_max_size = 32M

2) place the php.ini file in your prestashop/admin folder

3) (**very important - other code I copied didn't have the equal sign and it wasn't updating my php with the proper settings**)

verify that the info is correct by placing a phpinfo.php file into the same directory with the following code:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

4) navigate in your browser to the phpinfo.php file

5) If everything worked then the paramaters should correspond

Following this the translations should store on the back end :)

Originally I tried changing all of the permissions for my folders this wasn't required once my php.ini was working properly. Make sure that it works with the phpinfo file. Once it works delete the info file.

Hope that this helps someone else out :)

Took me almost an entire day, but now it works great.