[SOLVED] Install failure with password conflict somewhere

I'm having extreme problems with a clean install. I've been trying for two days, so forgive the long explanation of what has happened.

While I learned Prestashop's setup I modified several files to learn more what could be done. Then, I decided to start again with a clean install, and set up the shop for real. I dropped all tables from the database and deleted all files in the subdirectory /shop on the website, then uploaded a clean set of Prestashop files into /shop and started the install.

I was surprised to find that some information was already filled in, though I guess this might be from the browser's memory. All seemed correct, install went to the end and the database was refilled with new tables. I deleted the /install directory. The front end worked, but the back end was inaccessible with 'employee does not exist'.

I see that this has been reported before. I used the advice here: http://mypresta.eu/en/art/tips-and-tricks/a-better-way-to-restore-prestashop-admin-password.html to transfer the password

But, it did not work.

I wiped out the whole installation and started again. Three times. Nothing will work.

I then wiped it out again and even deleted the database itself, and created a new one, then ran the install on a different computer. This worked - access to all areas. I now had a working email and password for login. But - they would not work on the desktop computer where the problem started.

I tried to create a new customer (which worked) and then the password copy/paste from customer to employee table again, but all that happened was that I lost access from the computer that did work.

I'm currently wiping out all traces of files that I can find to start yet again. I assume that something is being stored on the original computer that is conflicting with the login, perhaps because it is set to the wrong /admin9999 number (which has changed each time). Something is preventing a valid email/password combination from working, even on a new install.

I desperately need some ideas and help here ... Please help!

Update. Clean reinstall (again). Full access on one computer, which did the install. Using the same email and password in the login boxes for admin just returns the same, blank boxes (no error report and nothing happens ...). The codes are good - they work for one computer and not the other (but I have to get it to work on the one where they don't!). Experience tells me that if I try to reset the password, something still blocks things and I'll lose access on the computer that does work. Likewise if I try to reset the password using the mypresta advice.

I'm out of ideas.

Edited by vekia (see edit history)