if I try the alpha 1.6 version will I still be able to use the real version when it comes?

Khioen

Am new to prestashop and I have been using 1.5 ver. since october last year. Now I want to create a new shop. I was wondering if I use the alpha version 1.6 as it is now, will I still be able to upgrade when the new one when it comes out?

The debate about whether or not you will be able to upgrade from Alpha or even Beta to the Stable release is not the main issue here.

PrestaShop's stance, as with every other software company who releases testing versions is as follows, The Alpha, Beta, and any RC's are SOLELY for testing purposes. No store should be developed on any of these testing versions and no live store should ever be upgraded to the testing versions.

We have stated this time and time again and once more we will say it. We never have and never will support our merchants using a live store on any testing version, or support our merchants who are developing a live store on a testing version. 

I'm sure Lesley would agree. Is it possible to upgrade from Alpha to the Stable release, I don't see why not, it's open-source. That said, it is a huge oversight on any merchant or developer who believes that upgrading a testing version to the stable version is good practice, it's not. 

Don't do it.