Product Import/Export (new and existing)

chetwyn

Dear Prestashop.

I’ve been using the tool for many many years now. The one thing the platform significantly lacks this the ability to import and export products without getting random errors, bugs, products not appearing after import and a swag of other things. Big Commerce for example has this nailed.

I’m considering opening another store next year, given 1.6 is a major release. Could you PLEASE provide a solution for this capability. It’s a gamer changer for non-technical people, it could also draw people from other platform to this one.

Chetwyn.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Prestashop.

I’ve been using the tool for many many years now. The one thing the platform significantly lacks this the ability to import and export products without getting random errors, bugs, products not appearing after import and a swag of other things. Big Commerce for example has this nailed.

I’m considering opening another store next year, given 1.6 is a major release. Could you PLEASE provide a solution for this capability. It’s a gamer changer for non-technical people, it could also draw people from other platform to this one.

Chetwyn.

I agree with this as import/export is a bit of hit and a miss (at least for me :) )

To eradicate errors, more error handling needs to be done. I always have to workaround to overcome these errors and import is never so smooth.

For example characters like "&" "," in the field is never handled correctly. I mean if you are importing a category name called "Dolls, Bears & Cuddly Toys" - The import will fall over. Of course the file used is a csv and is having a qualifier as double quotes. I was always made to believe this is a data issue, but on second thoughts it isn't. Just thinking about non-technical end-users.

• Like 1

For example characters like "&" "," in the field is never handled correctly. I mean if you are importing a category name called "Dolls, Bears & Cuddly Toys" - The import will fall over. Of course the file used is a csv and is having a qualifier as double quotes. I was always made to believe this is a data issue, but on second thoughts it isn't. Just thinking about non-technical end-users.

This is not a prestashop problem. You need to save your csv file as utf-8 file. Finding this option depends on the program you are using. In libre office you will have this in the filter options when saving the csv file

2013-12-30_0757.png

If your csv file is saved as utf-8 you can use all special characters. The detailed filter options is why I prefer the free libre office over excel. If you want to check it out you can download it at http://www.libreoffice.org/

Edited by prestamax (see edit history)

This is not a prestashop problem. You need to save your csv file as utf-8 file. Finding this option depends on the program you are using. In libre office you will have this in the filter options when saving the csv file

2013-12-30_0757.png

If your csv file is saved as utf-8 you can use all special characters. The detailed filter options is why I prefer the free libre office over excel. If you want to check it out you can download it at http://www.libreoffice.org/

Aha.. I always wondered that there must be something out there to handle this.. Thanks for the link for LO, I will have a go at that!

regards

• 3 months later...

I used to have 3 columns in my csv file to import the Product ID, Quantity and Active (0/1) and it worked perfectly and easily to update and manage stock.

Now in Prestashop 1.6.0.6 you have to add Name* column of the products??  Why oh why are there always new issues creeping up when a new release is made???? 

Why do I now HAVE to include the products NAME to upload it?  Why can't I just use the products ID instead????????