Switching off combinations

I am using 1.5.6 without stock management. 

Now I have the problem how to deal with product-combinations that are no longer available. When a product is no longer available I can disable it and re-enable it when it becomes available again later on. However, with combinations the only option seems to be to delete the combination. That causes a lot of extra work when the product is available again. Not to mention that my carefully selected order of the combinations is ruined.

Thanks for the suggestion, El Patron.

Unfortunately it would be quite a lot of work. I would need to switch stock management on and also the setting that out-of-stock products cannot be ordered and then setting all products to a very high stock level. Quite a lot of work for nothing in a shop where part of the sales happens outside the webshop so that stock management is impossible.

So I hope there is a more simple solution.

if you do not have stock management enabled, then of course you can not use all the native features.  probably worth looking into a mass  update module that will allow you to 'quickly' set up product stocks so that you could use the native ps stock features.  I can imagine without a good mass product management module that updating your shop seems daunting.

bulk update modules are worth every penny. :)

bulk update modules are worth every penny. :)

Sure, but in my case it seems heavy overkill. The logical implementation would be to have the possibility to switch off combinations just as you can switch off products. I don't understand why such an option isn't there. No one wants to invest lots of work in upgrading fictional stocks. And it is lots of work - even with a mass update tool.

Sure, but in my case it seems heavy overkill. The logical implementation would be to have the possibility to switch off combinations just as you can switch off products. I don't understand why such an option isn't there. No one wants to invest lots of work in upgrading fictional stocks. And it is lots of work - even with a mass update tool.

I did some research on the mass update modules, and it shows that my 'want' for images by language is also hurting the addon's as the screen shots are in French. :)

I have not tested this it but it's something you could look if actionUpdateQuantity hook will work for your purpose.  You would need to recreate the situation and then trap dump out of this hook.  Then it may be possible to automatically disable 'somehow' that combination.