Tweeking my site

Angelita

I have a couple of jobs I need done for my prestashop store, before I feel confident making it live. I am using Prestashop version 1.5.6.1

1. Each time I log into my site, I get a message saying that I need to configure browser cache and compression. This must be true because both my front and back end are slow to load. I am completely lost regarding how to do this and need help.

2. I want to add more items to my top menu. I have a module called Top horizontal menu. This enables me to generate top menu tabs from cms files. However, I am not sure that it is appropriate for what I want to do. I want to have content on my store that is presented more in the format of a regular information website (i.e. top menu items that drop down to reveal titles of articles). I understand that this is not really what Prestashop is set up to do, but it is necessary for my store. My credibility is dependent upon the articles, so I need them to be readily accessible. I do not want my articles simply displayed under the information heading in the footer. I need better navigation than that.

3. I would like to add a right column block that says "Why choose us?" that links to a slide show presenting both an image and content in each window. Again, I understand that content is not Prestashop's strength. But, I know it is possible. I just do not know how to do it in Prestashop.

4. I am using the default template. Just before the footer, there is a shaded section that lists the following things horizontally: Money back, Exchange in store, Payment upon shipment, Free shipping, 100% secured payment, along with icons for each one. I have looked for this in the template code but cannot find it. I want either to eliminate this entirely or at least edit some of the items.

If you can help with any or all of these, send me a message along with your proposed fee.

Angela

1. Each time I log into my site, I get a message saying that I need to configure browser cache and compression. This must be true because both my front and back end are slow to load. I am completely lost regarding how to do this and need help.

In the back office, navigate to Advanced Parameters > Performance menu.  Change "Template Cache" to either "Recompile" or "Never" option.  If you are actively making changes to the site, leave it on "Force compile", and when complete with your revisions, change it back to "Recompile" or "Never" option.

2. I want to add more items to my top menu. I have a module called Top horizontal menu. This enables me to generate top menu tabs from cms files. However, I am not sure that it is appropriate for what I want to do. I want to have content on my store that is presented more in the format of a regular information website (i.e. top menu items that drop down to reveal titles of articles). I understand that this is not really what Prestashop is set up to do, but it is necessary for my store. My credibility is dependent upon the articles, so I need them to be readily accessible. I do not want my articles simply displayed under the information heading in the footer. I need better navigation than that.

Search the Prestashop addons store for a more powerful top menu module.  There are many available.

3. I would like to add a right column block that says "Why choose us?" that links to a slide show presenting both an image and content in each window. Again, I understand that content is not Prestashop's strength. But, I know it is possible. I just do not know how to do it in Prestashop.

I don't believe Prestashop provides you with the ability to add custom block content yet.  There are a few modules on the store that allow you to do this.  I also have one called "block random".  This will allow you to add any custom content you want to the right or left column.  You can search my website store if interested.

4. I am using the default template. Just before the footer, there is a shaded section that lists the following things horizontally: Money back, Exchange in store, Payment upon shipment, Free shipping, 100% secured payment, along with icons for each one. I have looked for this in the template code but cannot find it. I want either to eliminate this entirely or at least edit some of the items.

I'm pretty sure this is the module called "Customer Reinsurance block".  You can disable/uninstall the module, or you can reconfigure it.