Customers cannot create an account using IE8

sandya

Hi,

It's been 2 weeks that I'm litterally going crazy over this.  Our shop is working fine plus or minus little normal issues. 

Some customers have reported that they cannot create an account when using IE8.  I was able to confirm this by replicating the issue. I used IEtester to test with the different versions of IE and the only instance where the error did not occur was when I turned the javascript off.

Here's what happens:

1) customer enters their e-mail address and clicks on "create your account",

2) the website redirects them to the proper page, except it is without content (in other words, the URL is the right one, the page appear with the header and footer but not with the content part - which is supposed to be the form where client enters their name and sets password) 

I have no idea what this could be.  I tried the different fixes proposed in the forum:

-Tried to change the type of create account button from "button" to "submit" in authentification.tpl

-Commented out part of the states management.js

I have searched in the forums for hours and I tried all the solutions proposed except the one about changing the shop from www. to non-www in SEO and URLS.

Can someone please help ?

My version is 1.5.6.0 (upgraded from 1.5.5.0) and my theme is not the default one. 

Thanks !

• 2 months later...

I am no computer/software neard but I also have some problems depending on the browser and browser version.

Are you using the standard Prestashop template or did you buy one?

IE8 is limited to PC running XP.  XP-users cannot upgrade to the newer versions of XP, they first have to upgrade to a newer version of windows.

Did you try using another browser?  I have 2 webshop, one with PS 1.4 and one with PS 1.5.  For the 1.5 I cannot use my PC running on XP and use IE8 but I can use Opera, Safari, Chrome etc.  On my laptop I have Windows 7 and IE11. No problem. But I have customers running Windows 8.1 on a Dell computer that cannot edit the addresses in their account. They only can choose one country and not the right one. he whole list of countries is gone, only 1 country left...

If you have a template from some else then check if the template is compatible with IE8. When it is a new template, it probably isn't. Windows in now using IE11.

Edited by Frevab (see edit history)

My problem was that customers would try to create an account with IE8 and the page would be blank - with the header and footer there but just blank content.  After a VERY LONG TIME of looking for an answer I tried tried this and it worked.  It involves a very small code change in the authentification file of your theme.  Try it and let me know !

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/265225-solved-create-account-not-working-prestashop-v-1531/page-2