My site does not appear on phones at all

Hi everyone,

This is my first post but I just want to say thanks to the whole community because all the answers were such great help in getting PS questions/issues fixed and answered.

I have an issue with the mobile version of the site.  I am using a third-party theme and everything works on Ipads - I have yet to test on other tablets though.

However, on phones, it does not show up.  I am not sure what the problem could be.  My theme is set as responsive and in the B.O, I am choosing to allow the mobile version on both phones and tablets.  I tried on Iphones and Blackberry... nothing shows up.  On Blackberry I have this message: The URL could not be retrieved and on Iphones there's just a white page and it does not seem to load.

Any ideas ?

Thanks !

also, make sure to check that where you purchased has a theme forum discussion.  When they have theme like on say theme foreset the developer is typically good about responding. 

TIP: if you are buying a theme/module always make sure the developer answers questions in a timely fashion, else keep looking. :) 

also for our purposes can you post a screen shot of the following, I've seen where setting 'Keep xxx as original' resolves 'some' responsive theme issues.

11.07.2013-12.04.png
http://screencast.com/t/UTtwie7y

Thanks for replying ! 

El Patron, I have read in other post about the setting in CCC and I checked mine - they are all: keep as original.  :(  I attached the screenshot.

You are so right about the theme developer. Actually, mine was very helpful until 2 weeks ago when he stopped offering support to his Prestashop themes (citing conflict with PS).  Completely unprofessional !!

Thanks again for your help

post-724341-0-94522200-1383849615_thumb.jpg

Thanks for replying ! 

El Patron, I have read in other post about the setting in CCC and I checked mine - they are all: keep as original.  :(  I attached the screenshot.

You are so right about the theme developer. Actually, mine was very helpful until 2 weeks ago when he stopped offering support to his Prestashop themes (citing conflict with PS).  Completely unprofessional !!

Thanks again for your help

there are 'alternatives' but outside of what I can help with.

if 1.5, one could probably retrofit the 'responsive' default theme into your  front office.  The issue most have is that there is not a separate mobile theme folder but incorporated into the main theme.  as a developer I can see where that could add a lot of overhead in theme plus is more error prone.

Best IMHO to make sure theme has separate mobile theme (folder)

Thank you for your answers !

And you are right : there is no separate theme folder in my theme and I can really see where something would easily go wrong this way.

If I ever find a solution to this, I will update this post.

Thanks again - you guys are great taking the time to respond to our questions so diligently.

I would think of installing the PrestaShop default mobile theme.

PrestaShop addon's released one for 1.4-1.4.9.0 (most likely would work on 1.4.9+-1.4.11

http://addons.prestashop.com/en/mobile/6165-prestashop-mobile-template-14.html

I am considering installing that on my 1.4.6.2 shop.

Now, that being said native Prestashop 1.5 comes with a mobile theme, in the mobile folder.  It would be an interesting to install that. 

read more here

http://doc.prestashop.com/display/PS15/Managing+Modules+and+Themes#ManagingModulesandThemes-PrestaShop%27smobiletemplate

Thank you so much for the detailed info.

I have version 1.5.6 of Prestashop so I see the mobile theme in the default folder. 

I'm not even sure it would work though as the site does not appear at all right now - it does not load.  I don't see anything pulling up when I try to open the site up - only on phones, like I said earlier it works on tablets.  I get a blank "thinking" page on Iphone and an error message that "The URL could not be retrieved" on Blackberry.

Maybe it's an access issue ?  As I'm hardly an expert at these things, I can't begin to speculate :)

Hello,

My theme is set as responsive and in the B.O, I am choosing to allow the mobile version on both phones and tablets.

If your theme is responsive, usually you should not activate the mobile theme. Responsive theme are made for all screens including phones and tablet.

Regards,

Zen

Hi Zen,

Thank you for your suggestion.  I did try that - to disable the mobile option in the theme section.  What you are saying makes total sense actually.  Now, this is the way it is (disabled).  

But when I try on phones my blackberry actually seems to fetch the www.mobile.mysite.com version.  Is that normal?  Or should I just request the www.mysite.com ?  On Iphones, it just thinks and thinks and does not pull out anything at all.  I noticed that the requested URL that is being denied on the blackberry is the www.mobile.mysite.com.

Since I really don't understand how this is supposed to work, it's hard for me to know how to troubleshoot this.

I really appreciate the support.

Sandra

Hi sandra,

in order to be able to help you fast and in a good way, please give me the url of your shop.

Anyway, when you use a real reponsive template, all of your devices, including phones and tablets, will have the same url , the mobile.mydomain will not be used anymore, I recommande you to clear your blackberry navigator cache.

Best Regards,

Zen

Hi to all,

I HAVE THE SOLUTION !!  And it's really thanks to the better understanding of the process that I got from all your posts.  So thank you all A MILLION TIMES.

So here it is for anyone having similar issues:

• Like Zen was saying, if you have a responsive theme, you need to chose the option :Disable mobile under the Themes categories in your B.O
  • Every time you test with your mobile devices, clear your cache (of your phones)
  • The responsive theme is supposed to direct you to the same URL on all devices.

In my case, the theme worked on tablets and not on phones.  The reason was that on phones, the user was redirected to : mobile.mydomain.com instead of mydomain.com.  So it basically directed to a URL that did not exist as I do not have a mobile folder on my theme (as El Patron made me notice).

There are a few things that could make that happen:

• A redirection in the htaccess file to mobile.mydomain.com
  • Your server that has the mobile version enabled

In my case the server had the mobile version enabled which redirected to mobile.mydomain.com.  I just disabled that option (in the control panel of my hosting account) and now it works !!!

Thanks again to you all for all your answers and support.

• Like 1