DEV shop interfering with PROD shop config

I've set up a DEV and PROD shop to get a proper update management. I did this by duplicating both DB (of course new name and user) and the folder with all the files.

I then changed the shop url within the DB to match the subdomain of the DEV shop and also changed the details in settings.inc.php to match the DEV DB. Everything seems to work fine. The DB connection is established, the subdomain routes to the DEV files.

However, if I log in to the backend of DEV or PROD, they still have the same setting for the shop url. Even worse, they get synced! So if I change it in DEV, it also changes in PROD. On the dashboard, I get the following warning: 

You are currently connected under the following domain name: dev.myshop.com

This is different from the main shop domain name set in the "Multistore" page under the "Advanced Parameters" menu: www.myshop.com

But Multistore is not enabled in neither DEV nor PROD. How is that possible? I also noticed that other configuration details get synced. So there is some connection between the two I can't see yet.

Edited by leeego (see edit history)

Ok, they both seem to listen to the same settings.inc.php (the one from the DEV). If I delete the settings.inc.php from the PROD, nothing happens. Both shops still work. If I delete the settings.inc.php from the DEV, I get the following error:

Error: "install" directory is missing