SMTP Email is not working

Hello! I have been hunting for a solution to my problem for a few days now, nothing seems to work.

I am using a Google Apps email address ([email protected]). I have entered all the details in all possible combinations in the Email configuration, but, when testing it, I receive the very helpful error: "Error: check configuration". If I, on purpose, enter the wrong password, it tells me that it is the wrong password. 

So my settings are: 

server: smtp.gmail.com

user: my email address

password smtp: my password

Encryption: SSL

Port: 465

This configuration is successfully used and tested in Outlook (IMAP account). 

The php mail() function is not working at all. 

What else can I try? I am using PrestaShop version 1.5.5.0. 

Has anybody else had success using a Google Apps-hosted email address?

Thanks a lot! 

Prestashop is actually using a very old SMTP library (dated 2007), and does not work well with some of the more modern SMTP gateways.

I have submitted a bug report to Prestashop about this issue, but they have failed to even respond to it yet.

http://forge.prestashop.com/browse/PSCFV-10182

In the meantime, I have created a patch to upgrade the embedded library to their latest version (dated 2013).

http://www.bellini-services.com/shop/modifications/39-swift-mailer-upgrade-better-support-for-ssltls.html

Have you tried using TLS instead of SSL?  If not, try using TLS with port 587 and see if you get different results.

The patch I created was for PS v1.5.4.1, for use with TLS (not SSL).  So it is entirely possible that this will not correct your problem, but I have a high confidence that it will.

If you do choose to purchase the patch, I will need to revise it since you are using PS v1.5.5.  So let me know before hand.

• Like 1

Thank you for your response, bellini. Yes, I have tried the TLS option as well, didn't work. I'm running on a very limited budget, so purchasing a module is, at this moment, out of the question. Especially since the move to Prestashop is not an urgent matter (the shop I'm building is currently running on Wordpress with an ecommerce theme). Thanks again!