Product Sold Out

When one of my product sells out, it seems to remove it from the category listing that it belongs to.  Is there any way to configure it so that it still lists it, but says SOLD OUT, and doesn't allow any more orders of it?  I've already configured it to deny orders when sold out, so I guess that part's taken care of, but I'd really like to be able to have people view it and see that it's sold out anyway, and anticipate the stock being refilled rather than just not knowing about it at all.

anyone know a solution to this?

Thanks!

There are two areas in back office that control this function.

Preferences>Product Settings>allow ordering out of stock product Yes/No

And in Catalog>Product page there is an option to allow out of stock orders, deny out of stock orders or use default (as set above)

I currently only have access to 0.9.7 and when the preference is set to NO and product page set to default the product plus price appears on the site but the add to cart is not present.

If the product is a featured product on the front page the add to cart still displays but when you select this an error. Product out of stock is displayed.

Not sure if this is what you want to achieve but if you have the settings as described and the product disappears from the product list perhaps there is a bug that needs to be notified.

Because I currently have a live shop in 0.9.7 I am waiting for the stable release before I upgrade.

Regards Peter A