Should I upgrade to 1.5.5

Good morning all

So here we are, the upgrade season has started

The forum is full of after I upgraded "this does not work" "that does not work" "my images are missing" etc etc

So, why upgrade?

Was their something wrong with your previous PS version?

Did it work OK but you fancied a change?

Is their a major improvement that you had to have?

Have all of you upgraders read Benjamin's post (first post in General discussion forum) about what to do with upgrades?

Are you happy with moderators running around like headless chickens trying to solve upgrade problems?

Have you downloaded ps 1.5.5 to local host? ( you can then try to break it as much as you want with no damage)

Have you got an anyname.com URL to test it live (best solution)

I am not being negative about prestashop, I love it and I appreciate that the folk at Prestashop need to get live problems to fix the bugs

All I say is, If it ain't broke why change it

Sorry to be boring

Paul

I'd like to know as well. I see too many problems with upgrading to 1.5.5 that I don't dare at this point!

Upgrading should be super easy!

Ever try upgrading WordPress?

Click.

You're done!

When PS is THAT easy to upgrade--with NO problems--I'll upgrade!

Right now, I'm too nervous!

Edited by rgwhitaker (see edit history)

no. not in my opinion. I had a modified and working 1.5.4.1 in final test and allowed myself (again) to be allured by the "stable release" touted on the 1.5.5 update. Now I have no shop.

If your site works, leave it alone. The only technical reason I tried to give 1.5.5 a chance was it supposedly resolves all the problems 1.5.4.1 was having with shipping.

Shot myself right in the foot.

***Note - the moderators people on the forum are SPECTACULAR in responding to posts and assisting - when, really, they don't HAVE to - and this is NOT a knock a anyone on a fantastic team! There truly are professionals here and I am one appreciative member!

• Like 1

OFF COURSE!!!!

Everything is faster, back-office and front-office.

I just have one issue:

After i upgrade de version everything was working fine.

Then i bought the nivoshop slider tool and install it. Everything is working fine, but i can make it go to te top of home... and i already check and recheck the hooks.

Can anyone help with that ? Or did someone have another strange behaviour after upgrade ?

Here is the store:  http://www.alfalive.com.br

Thx in advance.

JP

Edited by joaomag (see edit history)

DO NOT UPDATE ! So many problems have been reported and my own shop is all broken. I saved everything, but now I'm unable to restore saved version, it seems like everything was broken.

Check forum dozens of people report problems. Avoid upgrading for now.

I must agree with these guys.

My Clients PS1.5.4.1 shop is LIVE and I want to keep it that way.

Although the Product Comments is not working, plus a few other minor annoying problems I will NOT be upgrading.

I do wonder if I can cherry pick certain updated bits of 1.5.5 and update 1.5.4.1 with those....but still not convinced.

That said Prestashop is impressive and a good starting block for ecommerce.

Edited by kred59 (see edit history)

to determine if you should upgrade.

1. replicate what ever production shop you plan to upgrade

2. test the various upgrade paths per PrestaShop, one-click or manual

test this upgrade throughly

then you will know if you can upgrade without impacting your production shop.

NEVER upgrade 'anything' without first using a test system.  And do not rely on ps backup, make your own root/db back ups.  If you do not know how to do what I have mentioned then either learn how to do this, hire someone that knows how to do this,  or don't  upgrade.

my  plug nickel

Good morning

I think my original post has not been fully understood, probably by the way I phrased it.

It was not a question asked by myself "Should I Upgrade" it was Why, when a new PS version is released, people want to upgrade.

I fully understand that every version needs testing, but surely it is better to download to your local PC or, as I have done download to your server and use a non-description URL to test it properly

Hope this makes sense

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, 

Yes, if you want to upgrade to 1.5.5 there is no reason why you should not.

Hello all!

Yes! if you want to upgrade to 1.5.5 there is no reason why you should not.

We have released a new version of the 1-click upgrade module. Feel free to download it and see if the error persists. 

But FIRST! Read these upgrade tips here, http://www.prestasho...0-upgrade-tips/

you can download the new module on our Addons store here http://addons.presta...utoupgrade.html

Thank you!