PHP configuration limits the maximum number of fields

Hi folks,

I was trying to edit my 'blockcontact' using the following tutorial

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/237785-how-to-modify-our-hotline-is-available-247/

When i followed the instructions :-

Just go to the localization -> translations

select "module translations" and click on flag you want to translate / change.

I clicked on the flag and got the following error message :-

Warning, your PHP configuration limits the maximum number of fields to post in a form: 1000 for max_input_vars.

Please ask your hosting provider to increase the this limit to 1333 at least or edit the translation file manually.

I contacted my host and they werent very helpful apart from creating a php.ini file and told me to edit myself. I've opened that php.ini file and searched for "max_input_vars" (as another post suggested) but that doesnt exist in the php.ini file????

Any ideas please guys as its driving me mad!!! grrrr!

Thanks but it doesnt have anything to do with htaccess I dont think as eventually my host sorted it out. I could access the variables through phpmyadmin but that "max_input_vars" wasnt listed. I told him that he needed to change the value in it and eventually after saying "i'll do it but i dont think thats the aswer' he did it and it worked!

I have just checked the .htaccess file to see if what you said had any truth to it but I think you might be mistaken as the contents of my htaccess file have no such variables......

<IfModule mod_suphp.c>
suPHP_ConfigPath /home/phl1644221
<Files php.ini>
  order allow,deny
  deny from all
</Files>
</IfModule>

Admin please mark this as 'solved' thank you

Edited by dazlia (see edit history)

As karolwild suggested, a solution is to increase the max_input_vars in the .htaccess file, or if the host permits local php overrides in a php.ini file located in the root directory with

; updates max_input_vars for Prestashop translation field editing

max_input_vars = 5000

hello

but it isn't working well always

everything depends on hosting configuration

some hosters doesn't allow to change this param at all

they suggested you to change it so i suppose that it is possible

where you have hosting? it will be much easier to show the correct way

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue and my host is d9hosting.com It's 3d day they are trying to resolve this issue but they can't and I have the feeling they will stop working on this issue, however I need this to be configured properly so any help is very much appreciated. If possible instruction for dummies :) Thanks in advance

Hi Sirova, I had this problem and managed to resolve it! I had to CONVINCE my hosting company (hostgator) tha i knew what i was doing and knew how to solve the problem. He however, didnt really have a clue but after trying my suggestion he finally manged to solve the problem. Here is a transcript of the 'online chat' I had with a representative from Hostgator. Thsi will tell you what you need to know........... :)

[initial Question]:

(1:26 pm) [system] Customer has entered chat and is waiting for an agent.

(1:29 pm) [Taylor H.] Welcome to HostGator Live Chat. My name is Taylor. Please allow me a moment to review your initial question so that I may assist you accordingly. Thank you kindly for your patience in advance.

(1:30 pm) [Taylor H.] I can create a php.ini file for you that will allow you to make that change.

(1:30 pm) [daz]: hi, ive installed prestoshop and im configuring my shop etc. When trying to edit translations it comes up with teh following error :-

(1:30 pm) [daz]: Warning, your PHP configuration limits the maximum number of fields to post in a form: 1000 for max_input_vars.

Please ask your hosting provider to increase the this limit to 1333

(1:30 pm) [daz]: can you please up my fileds allowed to 2000 as I will be adding more fields shortly

(1:31 pm) [Taylor H.] i can create a php.ini file for you that will allow you to make that change.

(1:31 pm) [Taylor H.] Can you please verify your account?

(1:31 pm) [daz]: adn where do i find that php.ini file once youve created it?

(1:31 pm) [daz]: yes what do you want to verify

(1:32 pm) [Taylor H.] Do you know the last 4 digits of the card you used to open the account?

(1:33 pm) [daz]: no its my father who bought the hosting package. the domain is threadbound.co.uk. I can give you the details such as login/email/password etc

(1:33 pm) [daz]: my father is not technical, hence why I am doing the website :)

(1:34 pm) [daz]: username = phl16442

(1:34 pm) [Taylor H.] Do you know the billing PIN number?

(1:34 pm) [daz]: no, usually when im on chat a popup box appears and I just enter the email address and password

(1:35 pm) [daz]:

> > Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 12:51:39 -0500

> > To: [email protected]

> > From: [email protected]

> > Subject: HostGator.com :: Your Account Info

> >

> > Hello Paul Lewis,

> >

> > Thank you for your order with HostGator.com!

> >

> > You can login to our billing system at http://gbclient.hostgator.com/login, using the email address we sent this email to, and the password K90mIiGa21bX

> > Shared Plan: Hatchling

> > Your Control Panel: https://gator3045.hostgator.com:2083

> > Username: phl16442

> > Domain: threadbound.co.uk

> > Password: 5\uviPl0yLzo

> > 1st Nameserver: ns6089.hostgator.com

> > 2nd Nameserver: ns6090.hostgator.com

> > Server IP: 50.87.144.64

(1:35 pm) [daz]: is that enough?

(1:36 pm) [Taylor H.] I have created the php.ini file, it is located at /home/phl16442/php.ini

(1:36 pm) [Taylor H.] You can find the setting you are trying to change and edit it there.

(1:36 pm) [Taylor H.] Is there anything else I can assist you with at this time?

(1:37 pm) [daz]: so i just open that file using my file manager and edit it and then save it in that same location?

(1:39 pm) [daz]: ive opend that .ini file and Im unsure what part i change ?

(1:40 pm) [Taylor H.] You can use CTRL+F to find max fields and edit it there.

(1:41 pm) [daz]: ive done that there is nothing called "max fields" inside that .ini file

(1:42 pm) [daz]: ive also searched for 'max f' and 'maxf' and also nothign called that either??

(1:42 pm) [Taylor H.] have you tried max_f

(1:44 pm) [daz]: yes, it finds only 2 items......

upload_max_filesize = 64M

and

max_file_uploads = 20

(1:46 pm) [Taylor H.] One moment please while I look into this for you.

(1:46 pm) [daz]: I was on chat other day and someone supposedly did this for me and it was working for a while but now its not? they upgraded my php version and changed it to 2000.

(1:48 pm) [Taylor H.] This is a fairly technical issue but I was looking online for you and I found this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8710185/new-limit-within-php-1000-fields-per-post-does-someone-know-if-the-number-can

(1:48 pm) [Taylor H.] This may help.

(1:48 pm) [Taylor H.] Unfortunately this would be an issue crossing over into coding and design which I cannot support as I am not a developer. I apologize for the inconvenience. You may want to consider getting in touch with a developer or doing some research online to look into this.

(1:51 pm) [daz]: can you find someone who does then please at your end? This is something I cant do myself and as I have 3 seperate hosting packages with you (and clearly someone at yoru end knows how to do it) im asking not to fob me off please. I need your companies help to resolve this.

(1:53 pm) [daz]: that link you sent me goes way over my head. if someone at your end managed to do it the other day then its not a big job!

(1:54 pm) [Taylor H.] Unfortunately with an issue like this it's going to be out of scope no matter who I put you in touch with. I am not trying to "fob you off," but I don't want to be responsible for making a change to your ini that crashes your site. No one at HostGator is a developer, I am just tech support on the server. I am sure there is information on the internet for exactly how to change this variable in the ini file, but the bottom line is that, as I said, this is a technical issue outside of what HostGator can support since it gets into coding and design.

(1:56 pm) [daz]: you've alreay made a change? you created a brand new one and backed up the old one granted, but ive looked all over the internet already and cant find a solution and cant get my shop working until (as the error code suggested)....... Please ask your hosting provider to increase the this limit to 1333

(1:57 pm) [Taylor H.] The only change I made was creating the php.ini file, as you requested, and I did that because you didn't have one already. One moment please while I look into this for you.

(1:58 pm) [daz]: Thanks Taylor i do appreciate your help honestly but i simply cant afford to hire a developer to do something as simple as this mate honestly.

(1:58 pm) [Taylor H.] One moment please while I look into this for you.

(2:02 pm) [Taylor H.] Thank you so much for your patience, I am still working on your issue.

(2:02 pm) [daz]: yeh its cool mate no rush just glad of the help

(2:05 pm) [Taylor H.] I'm trying to find a definitive answer online for how to do this so I don't break your site. :)

(2:05 pm) [Taylor H.] One moment please while I look into this for you.

(2:06 pm) [daz]: thansk Taylor much appreciated :)

(2:10 pm) [Taylor H.] Thank you so much for your patience, I am still working on your issue.

(2:11 pm) [daz]: no problem, im also looking :)

(2:12 pm) [daz]: I found this Taylor..........

This is a very common problem associated with sending forms especially on pages allowing translation to other language.

Well, in this case you must have got an access to php.ini file and you have to increase value of max_input_vars setting.

If you have got control panel like cpanel or something similar - you can try to find this file there, but in most cases, unfortunately, u have to contact with your hosting provider

(2:15 pm) [Taylor H.] I truly appreciate your time today. It may be a few moments longer while I continue to address the issue at hand.

(2:15 pm) [daz]: no problems

(2:17 pm) [Taylor H.] I can try to increase max_input_vars but I'm not sure if that's what you need increased.

(2:17 pm) [Taylor H.] It shouldn't hurt anything if it isn't, but it also might not help.

(2:18 pm) [daz]: I think that will work, we;ve got a backup anyway so it wont do any harm :)

(2:18 pm) [daz]: go for it! :)

(2:18 pm) [daz]: you have my permission, i'll take responsibility

(2:19 pm) [Taylor H.] One moment please while I look into this for you.

(2:19 pm) [daz]: the guy who posted that 'answer' i posted above is a moderator on the official prestoshop forum so he must know what he's talking about :)

(2:19 pm) [daz]: http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/226735-the-configuration-limits-to-php-the-maximum-quantity-of-fields/

(2:20 pm) [daz]: change it to 2000 though please to be safe

(2:23 pm) [Taylor H.] I added "max_input_vars = 2000" under Resource Limits.

(2:23 pm) [daz]: ok let me try it :)

(2:23 pm) [daz]: thanks

(2:23 pm) [Taylor H.] Is there anything else I can assist you with at this time?

(2:24 pm) [daz]: YES! it worked! THANK YOU Taylor :)

(2:24 pm) [Taylor H.] No problem.

(2:24 pm) [Taylor H.] Is there anything else I can assist you with at this time?

(2:25 pm) [daz]: no thats cool mate ill give you good rating and thanks for being helpful appreciate it :)

(2:25 pm) [system] Chat closed by customer request.