Too many duplicate product images being created

whenever i am adding a new product to my catalog, i am noticing that each product image is being duplicated multiple times in various sizes for places such as thickbox, category, large_scene, thumb_scene etc.

overall each image is duplicated 13 times for one of the reasons above. I am new too prestashop and my question is do i really need to have all these different options such as cathome, homeproducts, thumb_scene (13 overall).

i saw that in preferences>image all these options are listed and i can delete them if i dont want, but since i am very new to prestashop i am not sure what is best way forward.

can someone please explain/help me with this

it is causing a storage problem with my hosting company. the problem is i have almost 3000 products in catalog now, and each product has 3-5 images, and now since each image is duplicating itself 13 times, the total number of files in the directory has ballooned to 170,000 files. i really need some help to resolve this.

• 2 months later...

then delete the sizes you do not want generated under preferences-->images (this under 1.4)

this of course will not resolve already built images...

kannu777 I totaly understand your point. Same problem here.

I need to delete already buil images! How can I do that? Some kind of Mysql sql query will be helpful.

In prestashop verion 1.5 there is also _default images (small_default, medium_default....). Can I delete this to? What are for?

Thank you in advacne!