Hi,

I am using prestashop 1.5.4.1 on a remote server and using latest version of Google sitemap (v. 2.1.1).

I have tried to add a sitemap to google webmaster tools, but It gives me error 404.

Please kindly help me to figure out what is the problem!

Best Regards,

Mojtaba

• Like 1

Hi,

I am using prestashop 1.5.4.1 on a remote server and using latest version of Google sitemap (v. 2.1.1).

I have tried to add a sitemap to google webmaster tools, but It gives me error 404.

Please kindly help me to figure out what is the problem!

Best Regards,

Mojtaba

view Folder 777 and sitemap.xml 777 permissions

Hi,

Could you please let me know where is that sitemap file? because I can not see that in my root directory!

Actually there is a sitemap.xml which is empty and the Google sitemap module creates the file index_sitemap.xml which I can not find.

Thanks,

Mojtaba

• Like 1

Hi,

Could you please let me know where is that sitemap file? because I can not see that in my root directory!

Actually there is a sitemap.xml which is empty and the Google sitemap module creates the file index_sitemap.xml which I can not find.

Thanks,

Mojtaba

home/ ----

-cache

-classes

-admin or modifiqued

-

-

-

-404.php

-address.php

-

-

-sitemap.php permissions 777

-sitemap.xml permissions 777

-statics.php

-

-

-///////////////

if not, sitemap.xml you create!!!

Edited by OlivierJM (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for your help.

Actually I found a file named en_0_sitemap.xml in the home folder but I wonder why its name is different from the one module gives?!

I added it to the google webmaster tools and there were no error.

Should I rename this with the sitemap.xml or index_sitemap.xml? (as given by the google sitemap module)

When I re-generate the sitemap later, does the name be the same or it will change?

Do you know also how can I make a cron job for generating sitemap?

Thanks a million for your help!

Mojtaba

Thank you very much for your help.

Actually I found a file named en_0_sitemap.xml in the home folder but I wonder why its name is different from the one module gives?!

I added it to the google webmaster tools and there were no error.

Should I rename this with the sitemap.xml or index_sitemap.xml? (as given by the google sitemap module)

When I re-generate the sitemap later, does the name be the same or it will change?

Do you know also how can I make a cron job for generating sitemap?

Thanks a million for your help!

Mojtaba

I had the same problem... your sitemap is that one: en_0_sitemap.xml that you found... submit it to google and it is ok... The message from prestashop is wrong, the generated file is NOT index_sitemap.xml but en_0_sitemap.xml...

I had the same problem... your sitemap is that one: en_0_sitemap.xml that you found... submit it to google and it is ok... The message from prestashop is wrong, the generated file is NOT index_sitemap.xml but en_0_sitemap.xml...

Hi Kosso, thanks for the help. Could you elaborate on the wrong PrestaShop message. If it's something that can be improved, we would love to know and fix it asap. Thank you!

Hi Kosso, thanks for the help. Could you elaborate on the wrong PrestaShop message. If it's something that can be improved, we would love to know and fix it asap. Thank you!

Hello Benjamin,

When you create the sitemap in the backoffice (modules - google sitemap module) - the module tells you that he created www.yoursite.com/index_sitemap.xml ... the name of the sitemap is not correct: my sitemap was www.yoursite.com/ro_0_sitemap.xml (my site is in romanian) or in Mojtaba's case was www.yoursite.com/en_0_sitemap.xml (his site is in English)... This must be corrected - the displayed name in the google sitemap module.

I hope that you understand what I am trying to say...

Best regards.

Hello Benjamin,

There is another problem related to the sitemap:

I tried to submit the sitemap to google using the Attracta Seo Tools from the Cpanel... Attracta said that everything is ok, that google got my sitemap but it was FALSE. When I checked, Google had no sitemap from my site, I had to insert it manually ... and here I found out about the problem with the name of the sitemap...

PS: I am using 1.5.3.1, I do not know if these problems persist in the 1.5.4.1 version...

Best regards.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using prestashop 1.4.9

I've just had the 404 error and couldn't see what was wrong as I had previously submitted a sitemap to google that was ok.

For me the problem seemed to be that the copy paste from the prestashop page to the submit box in google put an extra '/' in.

So when I re-typed the file name sitemap.xml into the google submit box with my sitename it worked. Ok I've not been able to repeat this since, but worth checking that the filename and directory are right.

If you click on the link for your sitemap on the module gsitemap page does it take you to the file ? If the file is being generated then you should be able to find it using cpanel filemanager or filezilla etc.

Regards

Chris g

Edited by Chris G 29 (see edit history)

• 8 months later...

Had same problem with incorrect sitemap url being supplied by the google sitemap prestashop module, ( 1.5.6.2 ) followed the instructions above on where to find the correct names for which i had three !!! although i just used the search within cpanel to find sitemap.xml

i came accross

1_en_0_sitemap.xml

1_en_2_sitemap.xml

1_en_2_sitemap.xml

check to ensure you have submitted all of your sitemaps, not sure why it separates them.

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem, I got the 404 error.

I made my sitemap.xml manually and I want to manual upload it to the server via ftp transfer.

Is that ok?

PrestaShop version:

PrestaShop™ 1.5.5.0

Have you regenerated your htaccess? The .htaccess is a configuration file used by Apache web-servers on your root folder that can, among other things, control redirects, protect folders, and change aspects of your URL’s. Many times you can solve 404 issues by regenerating this file. You can delete the .htaccess file manually through your FTP and regenerate it by heading over to your Back-Office/Advance Parameters/Performance. Sometimes, simply toggling the option for Friendly URL can do the trick by forcing the regeneration of the .htaccess file. Make sure to backup first!

Have you regenerated your htaccess? The .htaccess is a configuration file used by Apache web-servers on your root folder that can, among other things, control redirects, protect folders, and change aspects of your URL’s. Many times you can solve 404 issues by regenerating this file. You can delete the .htaccess file manually through your FTP and regenerate it by heading over to your Back-Office/Advance Parameters/Performance. Sometimes, simply toggling the option for Friendly URL can do the trick by forcing the regeneration of the .htaccess file. Make sure to backup first!

No I have not. But I checked it and there is no where in the .htaccess file any rule that I can see that is blocking my sitemap.xml file.

The problem is that my sitemap.xml file that is in the root is empty, it is an empty file and that is why I made it manually and want to upload it to the server. I ques that's why Google said 404 error, because the file is there but there is nothing in it. I am new to Prestashop, so I don't know if it has a negative effect on the site if a submit a sitemap via ftp instead of generating it with a plugin.

I have build sites over the years and I know how to make a sitemap.xml file, so that is not the problem, but I want to know it is ok to submit my sitemap to the server via ftp.

Sorry I was not clearer in the first post, I was at work and I had 20 things to do at the same time :)

I don't see why you shouln't be able to FTP the file.

But it's strange that you have an empty file being generated, although I can see that this may cause the 404's.

Does the empty file date & time match when you generated it ?

Have you tried looking at the file from google webmasters and seeing what errors they detect ?

Chris G

I have a similar problem here: http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/330541-google-sitemap-includes-deleted-content/?do=findComment&comment=1679592 However, my issue is the sitemap generates urls for products that have been deleted from my database... how does that happen? Additionally, there are about 200 products added this year that are not even included in the sitemap.... very strange. Anyone else seen this behaviour?

I don't see why you shouln't be able to FTP the file.

But it's strange that you have an empty file being generated, although I can see that this may cause the 404's.

Does the empty file date & time match when you generated it ?

Have you tried looking at the file from google webmasters and seeing what errors they detect ?

Chris G

Yes, I have looked in Google Webmaster and the error I get in Google webmaster is "General HTTP error: 404 not found".

I have not generated it, sadly to say I came along for the ride when the project was almost done by another team. That is why I can not say what and how they generated the sitemap.xml file.

There is no problem using FTP to add the sitemap. That said, the module should be able to create the sitemap. Test out the sitemap on a dev environment, it wont have a negative effect on your rankings and you can see if it works. 

Thanks for the answers. I am gone submit it then via ftp. :)

I have a similar problem here: http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/330541-google-sitemap-includes-deleted-content/?do=findComment&comment=1679592 However, my issue is the sitemap generates urls for products that have been deleted from my database... how does that happen? Additionally, there are about 200 products added this year that are not even included in the sitemap.... very strange. Anyone else seen this behaviour?

Have you tried to generate the sitemap.xml file with another service to see if you get the same problem?

Try:

http://xmlsitemapgenerator.org/

or

http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/ (this is free for only 500 pages)

If the problem in the plugin, then upload the one generated with the services above via ftp.

Hope it helps.