Error reporting from your PayPalAPI module spam

BjornL

I've just gone live with my website and am already getting a bunch of emails from the "Error reporting from your PayPalAPI module". It's clearly just random hacking attempts (see the report: no report is given), but I don't want to be getting 10 emails a day for it and I'm confident there's an easy fix - I just don't see it.

Also, given the random hacking activity, where would I read up on how Prestashop interacts with the module (where the hacking attempts are coming from)?

Thank you for your time!

Hi Benjamin, thanks for the quick reply. I had thought this would be a common issue, so no I haven't contacted anyone else about it. Details: I'm using Prestashop 1.5.3.1. Will upgrade to 1.5.4 once I have time to learn how the Prestashop overrides work and have time to copy my customization over. The Paypal version is 3.4.6. What would you advise I do?

The message I received (six copies in one minute) is the default template generated by the shop:

Hi, Error reporting from your PayPalAPI module A client has encountered a problem with the module PayPalAPI, see the report:

I am having the same issue. I do not receive emails daily though. I receive 3-4 emails per week, which makes me think that I am losing sales. The email I get is like this:

Subject: Error reporting from your PayPal module

Email: A client has encountered a problem with the module PayPalAPI, see the report:

That is all, no error description. I looked at my module configuration and everything is in place. Any suggestions? I would like to know what triggers these email and how to fix it.

It is a payment module and I would like to make sure that there are no flaws.

I am using PS 1.4.6.2 and PayPal 3.4.4. I am on a dedicated server.

Thanks,

Edited by pietro (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I am receiving emails nightly saying there is an error from my website Paypalapi. Nothing looks wrong on website, Called Paypal they say not them but shopping cart problem. Rechecked API in Prestashop, checked credentials. All ok. Last right went from receiving 2 emails per night to 25.

Help. I don't know what else to check. Prestashop 1.5.2.0.

Is this spam or should I be concerned? Www.packinneat.com

• 3 weeks later...

same here..

random 'error mails' from time to time (around 4-5 mails last month)

I ve checked the customer carts matching the error time and I ve found empty (no items) carts from guest users (I dont allow guest users to checkout tho).

I dont know if it is some bug or a random user trying to checkout without login (I doubt it) or a hacking attempt..

Any light into this?

@Prestashop Team

Guys.. are you reading the forum and these posts??

On this topic there is just one post from prestashop team telling us that they dont know what this is and what version we run..

And from then... nothing... WOW!!!

Really pro...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Still no answer? I got the same problem today. I just started my shop. I'm sure I have set up my PayPal module in a propper way and I tested it. So it must be something that is triggered from PS. I have to aggree with pietro. We are talking about money here.

mate..

i dont know if it is related and i dont want to panic you

but i recently had infected by an attack for implant malicious code

and it is something that it came up after those errors

maybe its unrelated

but maybe its some form of trying to find some exploit method

so just a heads up for your security processes

as for the real issue with the error

still no word from presta :(

orotoi it was some kind of hacking attack. In my case it came from Ukraine (IP 193.203.48.46). Since I'm hosting PS on my own server I'm able to act quick by blocking those IP addresses on the fly. But thanks for the advice.

Anyway it's a shame that PrestaShop doesn't reply even after month since there are many users who discovered this issue.

mine was from colombia :D

unfortunately i am on godaddy shared and dont have shell access

but i was able to get rid of the malware in 3-4 hours (before even the godaddy reply to me that they cant do anything!!! i am changing hosting for sure)

I am receiving emails nightly saying there is an error from my website Paypalapi. Nothing looks wrong on website, Called Paypal they say not them but shopping cart problem. Rechecked API in Prestashop, checked credentials. All ok. Last right went from receiving 2 emails per night to 25.

Help. I don't know what else to check. Prestashop 1.5.2.0.

Is this spam or should I be concerned? Www.packinneat.com

I posted this thread 4 months ago - the original issue was posted 11 months ago and there are no answers - no updates - no suggestions. I have customers writing me saying they are trying to buy and it doesn't work - paypal says not them. From this forum I hear crickets....I was hoping that using an open product there would be a forum for issues but I am at my wits end. This is money and customers and a real business - doesn't that matter????????????????????

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also noticed the second "error report" in a week. But I have not seen abandoned cart. I opened the access log, but it only shows access of today (and it happened yesterday for the second time).

If this is a problem that is serious and cannot be solved, I could switch to my payment provider that could process paypal payments as well.

• 4 weeks later...

...meanwhile I have set Paypal to be processed through my payment provider, but I just noticed that using the mobile theme (for customers using their phone) is presenting the "PayPal Checkout"-button and that is resulting in this error when the button is pressed.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Guys

I can see from posts that this problem been on going for years,  I have the same started with 10 per day at different times slowed down with days gaps it's now started again.  I have had no problems with purchases also I tried it wit a test purchase.  So got in touch with pay pal they tested  again no problem and said not a Paypal issue then posted a the question on the Prestashop forum long time after a reply from Prestashop not us. Great  were next as the problem is still happening all I do is delete every day don't want to block in case I don't get my orders coming through.  Help some body by now found the solution please.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am getting this sent to me:

Error reporting from your PayPalAPI module   A client has encountered a problem with the module PayPalAPI, see the report:   PayPal response:
TIMESTAMP -> 2015-12-12T09:57:55Z
L_ERRORCODE0 -> 10002
L_SHORTMESSAGE0 -> Security error
L_LONGMESSAGE0 -> Security header is not valid
L_SEVERITYCODE0 -> Error

• 1 year later...
I am having the same issue. 

I am getting thousands of this email in half an hour.

Nothing in the error report, no error description:

"Error reporting from your PayPalAPI module

A client has encountered a problem with the module PayPalAPI, see the report:"

I am using PS 1.6.1.11 and PayPal 3.11.3.

Can someone please fix this !!! 

• 4 weeks later...

It is issue with a request to PayPal.

PayPal can cancel payment procedure if it is think, that the request is unsecure.

Every time when a customer can't pay because of with this problem you will receive this email.
Solution: contact with PayPal; give them information about your shop (domain, IP, checkout method).

It is issue with a request to PayPal.

PayPal can cancel payment procedure if it is think, that the request is unsecure.

Every time when a customer can't pay because of with this problem you will receive this email.

Solution: contact with PayPal; give them information about your shop (domain, IP, checkout method).

Called PayPal 4 times and they maintain it is NOT them.  Tested all ways according to them.  Said it was the shopping cart.

• 1 year later...

ive been getting this on and off too for years.

had some last night.

my paypal , sales are still going through.

Im HOPING as per previous comment, it is a) out of stock items b ) i have items live, but order disabled. 

i have every country enabled and not restricted

abandoned cart at same times of paypal errors are "0" with 0 products.

it is a blank report : "A client has encountered a problem with the module PayPalAPI, see the report"

if it is a hack, i still dont want anyone getting this far

any help is appreciated.

or am i currently the only person using PS now :P

• 1 year later...

No, I can confirm you are not the last person using Prestashop, there atlest 10 more people.

The error is still there and client also sees the error and is unable to check out

Error reporting from your PayPalAPI module

A client has encountered a problem with the module PayPalAPI, see the report:

PayPal response:
->

• 5 months later...

It's now 2020:

the year that the hover boards and the flying cars really exist in our daily lives.

However, I am getting this error message with blank report in this year 2020.

Seems like there has been no solutions or explanations since 2013.

My boss freaks out every time he gets this email,

and I repeatedly tells me to fix this unfixable bug. 

I will be back when my boss asks me to fix this in year 2021, or 2050.

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...