Why ?

I'm very new to Prestashop and so far really liking it, but I do have to say, that a lot of questions that apply to me also, just go completely unanswered...

A major concern too is : why doesn't the default install come with apps that other carts include automatically, eg: a Facebook activity feed... I know it takes time to create modules - but surely not every question needs a 'paid for' solution.

Sorry I'm venting, especially being a newbie - but had to make this observation since a few of my simple questions (and lots & lots by others) go unanswered :( Even a simple - no, it's not possible would be great, but acknowledging that people need help is the first sign of a good community - at least that's what I believe (PS: not talking out of my hat - I was a Adobe Dreamweaver Community Professional for years on their forums and we always answered every question - even if no-one knew the answer, at least tried to provide an environment where people weren't scared to ask a question ).... I left web dev behind years ago, but thankfully I still know how to edit css etc., otherwise, I wouldn't be as far as I am with my default template re-design......

Please don't throw eggs, but had to put my thoughts on paper as it's very frustrating for a newbie to a new app to move ahead without basic community support :)

How long ago did you work there? I was a Flash Evangelist before Macromedia got bought. You bring up a great point about support though. Adobe's applications are expensive, Prestashop on the other hand is free and relies on community support. You can buy support pages with roughly cost what a version of Dreamweaver would cost.

As far as the modules, it does take time to create modules. This is just my guess, but I am figuring that the development time is spent on core modules mostly. Like payment gateways, have you checked the new stripe one out, its pretty nice.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I think a lot of the other carts focus on things like facebook feeds, which in itself is fady; because their carts lack features and they are looking for ways to draw people in.

How long ago did you work there? I was a Flash Evangelist before Macromedia got bought.

Wow - what a co-incidence ! Never did get into flash I'm afraid... I was working full time and trying to run a web dev biz, so all the flash I had to do for clients got palmed out to subbies :) Been out of it all now for about 3 years now :) I helped on the as a plain old community memember early one in the Macromedia forums DW & FWs, but then got promoted to an Adobe Expert, then they changed it to an Adobe Professional :) Really enjoyed the 4 or so years I did that.. miss it kinda - but had to move on - pity I got out of it before ecommerce became the rage, or I'd be set now lol

You bring up a great point about support though. Adobe's applications are expensive, Prestashop on the other hand is free and relies on community support. You can buy support pages with roughly cost what a version of Dreamweaver would cost.

That's very true about the cost of the software ! - however, we were not paid for our community support - we did it willingly cause we loved the software and wanted to help others :)

As far as the modules, it does take time to create modules. This is just my guess, but I am figuring that the development time is spent on core modules mostly. Like payment gateways, have you checked the new stripe one out, its pretty nice.

Stripe one ? not sure of what you speak lol

Again, this is just my opinion, but I think a lot of the other carts focus on things like facebook feeds, which in itself is fady; because their carts lack features and they are looking for ways to draw people in.

Agreed, a lot of the other carts, are a bit overkill - and very difficult to customise - esp. setting up products - that's why I love this one - just wished there was more help available for newbies like myself -- selfish I guess :-D

There is help available on the forums. I think complexity might be an issue too with Prestashop. Dreamweaver is a nice WYSIWG editor, but it is no where near as complex as Prestashop. Also, it helped the dreamweaver cause that they had a lot of hobbyist too, you do not get that so much with e-commerce software. There are several great members in the forum that try to help all the people that we can though sometimes we might not answer every question.

Prestashop released a payment module to the stripe payment gateway, it is available for free in the addons shop.

There is help available on the forums. I think complexity might be an issue too with Prestashop. Dreamweaver is a nice WYSIWG editor, but it is no where near as complex as Prestashop.

I *never* used WYSIWG lol I know my html & css and started learning php, but then gave it away :) it's the smarty template system that has got me - never used it previously.

There are several great members in the forum that try to help all the people that we can though sometimes we might not answer every question.

I believe you - and I probably spoke too soon, blame it on frustration :)

Prestashop released a payment module to the stripe payment gateway, it is available for free in the addons shop.

Ah ok, will check it out, thanks.

Oh, maybe you could give me a yes or no possible on this question of mine :)

http://www.prestashop.com/forums/topic/214472-new-attribute-help-pls/

Edited by nadiap (see edit history)