new Attribute help pls

I've made up a few different attributes with values, but would also like to have an attribute where I have a text box where a customer can input their own choice of fragrance eg:

Select your fragrance: Type fragrance choice (that would be the default value & customer can override this and type in their own choice)

Thanks for any help you can provide -- I have over 20 possibile selections and it would be easier if the customer could write their own selection in the box ???

I attach a picture of what I use now, but shows how I'd like it if possible (hope pic explains it better)

Is this possible? Using version 1.5.3

post-454496-0-19173700-1357473379_thumb.jpg

Edited by nadiap (see edit history)

You would have to edit the template to do that. But at the same time without a great deal of programming, you wouldn't be able to correct spelling errors or case errors. Are you just trying to use something other than a drop down box?

Are you just trying to use something other than a drop down box?

Pretty much. I found that I can add a new tab at bottom of page and add a text box - but am afraid that people may not go down that far to notice that they can make a comment for their choice, so would have liked something in the 'options' section. Hope that makes sense :)

Not really what I need I don't think, sorry :)

Best I could do on my own is:

Product customisation where they can type in a fragrance scent choice. OR I can just add a lot more values into the dropdown list, but with over 80 possible choices would be way too long :) I'll have to rethink this a bit I think.

Edited by nadiap (see edit history)

Not sure how well known these are in Australia, but out of curiosity I wondered what a popular candle company in the UK did for their website: http://www.yankeedirect.com/shop/jar_candles/medium_jars/ - 83 products but with filters (tabs at the top) to divide them up a bit. Would you be willing to adopt a similar approach?

Personally I think it's asking a lot of a customer to type in their own fragrance, especially if the customer has no knowledge of the product and is just purchasing as a gift. Even if there's a list to refer to, as long as there's a dropdown menu they'll immediately be drawn towards it.

Hmm, I would think of a creative way to present them. My brain is shot atm, but if I will think about it.

That would be awesome if you could come up with a simple way to do this -- I'm willing to try coding any templates if need be...

A simple input box is all I want LOL

Not sure how well known these are in Australia, but out of curiosity I wondered what a popular candle company in the UK did for their website: http://www.yankeedir...es/medium_jars/ - 83 products but with filters (tabs at the top) to divide them up a bit. Would you be willing to adopt a similar approach?

Yep I know of yankee candles :) I handmake my own and sell them, hence the website for more exposure. So far have sold via ebay and currently Facebook, so majority of my customers know that they can pick their own fragrance... but I do take your point with new customers finding me via google or where ever.

Personally I think it's asking a lot of a customer to type in their own fragrance, especially if the customer has no knowledge of the product and is just purchasing as a gift. Even if there's a list to refer to, as long as there's a dropdown menu they'll immediately be drawn towards it.

That's what I was trying to steer away from - having so many products listed :) I may just have to select a certain number of fragrances just for the website... that way the dropdown wouldn't be too long. Something to think about before I start uploading products.

Thanks so much for your thoughts - appreciated !!

PS: Yankee would have a much bigger budget than mine to get such a website developed to suit their needs :)

Just import using a CSV file. Doing it the way yankee candle did is the best way you can do for SEO.

I make these candles myself and don't have a csv file - my fragrances change constantly, but I have taken your point & Joels' point onboard and will rethink how I present them.

Not sure if it helps, but you can add some free text field(s), (optionally 'required') For single products,

if you add/edit a product, go to tab 'customization'. (1.5.x, not sure about older versions)

Not sure if this helps, as it is for individual products, but have a look.

Pascal

Thanks Pascal,

That's the way I have it set up now - I added a text field into the Product Customisation tab , so that someone could type into it...

and it works - as long as customer remembers to 'save' it first and then adds the item to the cart. I thought that would work, but it's a lot of trouble for customer and they may decide not to buy -- so have to think of something else :)

Thanks Pascal, That's the way I have it set up now - I added a text field into the Product Customisation tab , so that someone could type into it... and it works - as long as customer remembers to 'save' it first and then adds the item to the cart. I thought that would work, but it's a lot of trouble for customer and they may decide not to buy -- so have to think of something else :)

Shouldn't be too difficult to program, I think. Check if field has value, if so save together (just before) adding the product to the cart. Would expect this to be standard already. Seems to me that this extra costomization field is really 'quickly' added afterwards, instead of integrated...

(Or, if you want to do a quick and dirty trick that's probably easier, just call save in "exitTheCustomField" method)

Edited by PascalVG (see edit history)