What are the best practicies for PS code management with git

With the PS move to git the issue of proper configuration management becomes more important.

There were a few forum threads related to the topic but no clear answer so i'll give it another try.

Here are the common requirements for this kind of source control configuration:

1. Need to track changes in the upstream vendor branches of PS core and PS modules - "Vendor branches"

2. Need to manage multiple local PS projects that might use different modules and different versions of PS core and modules.

3. Need to manage local customizations and changes without obstructing the upgrade path for PS core and PS modules.

4. Need to be able to deploy projects from the repository to different servers (development, testing, production)

I'm a newcomer to PS but would like to setup proper source code management from the very beginning. In the past i was able to setup a stable workflow that met the above requirements using SVN for MODX CMS. But since my experience with PS is very limited at this point any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

I think this issue is critical to agencies and consultants workting with PS. It would be very helpful if PS team experts could layout best practices for PS configuration management with git.

I think you are getting an svn confused with the git.

I do admit that i'm new to git as well but have been doing a lot of reading about it, hence "Vendor branches" in quotes, since that was an SVN term. But the need for the vendor workflow of tracking 3rd party vendor repositories remains the same. That is why i'm trying to draw on the knowledge of the more experienced PS developers.

Let me illustrate with an example.

Vendor repositories:

PrestaShop.git

PrestaShop-modules.git

ThirdPartyModule.git

Local repositories:

SkeletonTemplateProject.git (used as the starting point for new projects)

Project1.git

Project2.git

Project1 uses PrestaShop core version X and some of Presta Modules

Project 2 uses PrestaShop core version X+1, some Presta Modules, and some 3rd party modules.

Previously i used separate local repositories to track vendor changes and SVN externals in order to include 3rd party libraries from those repositories into my projects in to avoid code duplication and simplify upgrades.

What would be the best way to setup PrestaShop and git local repositories and workflow between these repositories in order to simplify upgrades of core and module code, keep track of our project customizations, and be able to quickly deploy the said projects.

Thanks.

Edited by outre99 (see edit history)

The hard and fast rule, is if its not broken don't fix it. Saying that, pay attention to the svn and the bug fixes, security fixes don't happen that often, but those are the ones you might need to update for.

Thanks for the response but I'm not sure what you mean. PS has moved to git now so the new configuration has to done using git not svn. Hence the goal of my question is to find out the best practicies of PrestaShop code configuration management with git.

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...