invisible categories and incorrect paths, 2 part question

I very new to all this, so this may be a user error as opposed to Presta.

1. I have had problems where by I add an image after the fact to a category and the category disappears, however I have discovered that Presta believes the category to still exist somewhere and then when I re-add the category I have several categories under the same name in the "default category" pull down.

In my case I have Firearms/Lynx Rifles/Products

But Presta has it as /Firearms/DogTraining/LynxRifles/Firearms/LynxRifles/Products/

I have tried to find a way using the gui to locate and delete this ghost categories but I can't seem to do it.

Can someone point me to a file that I can edit to change this, and remove the gohst categories?

2. Is there a way to see all the products in some kind of editable text file, so that I can easily update something, so in this case categories, becasue as you can see from above, the products registered are still pointing to older obsolete ghost categories, to go in by hand and change them all is.... "painful" to say the least.

Thanks in advance

I am puzzled. I "/Firearms/DogTraining/LynxRifles/Firearms/LynxRifles/Products/" you have "Firearms" twice. Do you have two categories with the same name?

Obviously creating another category with the same name when the original for some reason doesn't appear is not a good strategy. You need to solve the problem - not create more problems. By calling them "ghost" categories you seem to miss this point. They are very real.

Obviously creating another category with the same name when the original for some reason doesn't appear is not a good strategy. You need to solve the problem - not create more problems. By calling them "ghost" categories you seem to miss this point. They are very real.

Yes Musicmaster, you are correct, but as the opening line of my question says, I am very new to this, so with that in mind had I known that the category still existed then I wouldn't have recreated it.

Thanks for your answer but it hasn't really helped at all has it?

If my answer didn't help you didn't get the point.

My point was that you have two problems. One that is related with the PS system and one that you created yourself. As long as you don't clean up your part it will be very difficult for other people to help you as they see one story in which two problems are mixed up in a very complicated way. It doesn't help that the way you formulate the problem seems to stress your part of it.

A better approach would be provide some screen dump and tell what you expected to see and what you see instead.

BTW What PS version are you using?

Presta created identical shippers in my case so it's not necessary his fault! This came up when I edited my shippers options, not creating new ones. The new ones were with same name and next ID in the row. I had to delete them.

Also when creating price/weight ranges - sometimes they were created hidden - something like cache problem but even after cache/cookie clear they didn't came up. They came up next day without nothing from my side...

Strange behaviour? Or just too much cache bugs?

EDIT: lol... it's not bug but Presta creates new shipper on every edit - new ID and so on and reassigns the old shipper options to the new one. The old one is deleted... - why is that???

Edited by the.rampage.rado (see edit history)